Problems with 1747-UIC and 5/02

netquirk

I am an instructor at a technical school and am teaching control systems. The school bought AB 1747-demo units which consist of a SLC 5/02, 2 Inputs and one output unit prewired to switches and lights. Programming is via RSLogix. The problem is I have been totaly unsuccessful in establishing communications between the PC and the PLC. We have 1747-UICs (early verison A's) I have tried this with several UICs and several 5/02s (Particulalr with the track record I have heard with the early UIC)

When I connect everything up I get the OK light and when RSlinx is running the USB light blinks and the DH485 blinks. The Comm light on the 5/02 occasionaly blinks (very low intensity) I am using staight-thru Ethernet cables. I have reviewed he AB website and the posting on this web site and tried everything.

Details:
UIC com port 5 and 7
5/02 1747-l524 ser C
1747-UIC Ser A, Rev A
Default settings for Comm ports 1900/n/1
RSLinx Lite 1.7.62
RSLogix Starter 6.10.10

Even though the DF1 Full Duplex driver hasn't changed much since the release of RSLinx, I'd suggest updating that 1.7 (that's about five years old) to the current 2.50 release. RSLinx Lite is a free download that doesn't require a support license, though it's a fairly big download (PM me if you want a CD).

I can't seem to find my UIC around the desk. Anybody seen it ?

Hi! I am not an expert in this field, but I was working with FPGAs and I bought a "teaching kit", as yours. I had a problem with the FPGA because i couldn´t load the program... Maybe the problem is the hardware of the kit, but it is only a suggestion....

netquirk said:
...When I connect everything up I get the OK light and when RSlinx is running the USB light blinks and the DH485 blinks. The Comm light on the 5/02 occasionaly blinks (very low intensity) I am using staight-thru Ethernet cables. I have reviewed he AB website and the posting on this web site and tried everything...

I have had this scenario if:

1) The UIC switch was on the wrong port (i.e. switch to 9 pin and cable connected to RJ-45

2) I did not have a good physical connection to PLC or UIC (i.e. clip on RJ-45 was broken and it had 'slipped' out.

3) The "ethernet" cable was broken, which I think is your problem. The cable AB uses to go from UIC to PLC is NOT any standard networking termination. They use their own connections and even use a shielded RJ-45 connector (and use the shield in the cable). I suggest purchasing a cable and trying it. The 3' version is AB part #1747-C13. I can give you the pinout if you still want to try and make your own.

First as already mentioned upgrade Linx. Next without the PLC connected, does the PC recognize the USB device? It should. If not there may be a conflict with the PC.
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/FD0A1EA0F777841F85256FA5005A855B?OpenDocument

If so, have you changed the Channel 0 settings on the processor? It should be set to DH485, not the default DF1 full duplex. When making this change, make sure to give each Processor a unique DH485 address: 1-30 (0 is the dafault for RSLinx.) A unique address on each PLC will come in handy down the road.

My best guess is that you have the wrong version of RSLinx, and Channel 0 has not been properly set up.

Thank you for your suggestions. I just got back in the Lab last night (Part-time instructor only there Monday and Tuesday) and unfortunately still no luck. The following has been done per suggestions

1. RSLinx Lite 2.50 loaded

2. Verified switch was in correct position (Had already done this several times)

3. Tried several straight through Ethernet cables (Note: the RJ45 on the 1747-C13 may be shielded as noted, nether the UIC nor the 5/02 have shielded connector so if shield is connected it is to one of the pins)

4. Verified the RJ45 on both ends “clicked” in place and examined both sides the UIC and 5/02 for damage to the pins.

5. I have not tried modifying the Ethernet cable. Noted in link sent by Mickey that 1747-C13 does not have pins 3 and 6 connected (Drain and Earth) could his make a difference

5. Tried 4 different UICs and 4 different PLCs

6. Verified that the PC recognized the UIC without the PLC connected

7. Looked at changing the Channel setting, however the 5/02 (1747-L524) only has a RJ45 (DH-485) connector and no place I could find to modify the address (there is one set on jumper on board which I believe is tied to ROM (I did move it to see if made any difference)

8. As noted these are training units purchased a while ago by the school (May have actually been donated by AB, not sure) so failure of a few units expected, but I can’t get any to work (I have 6 UICs and 10 PLCs)

9. Removed and reloaded UIC driver downloaded from Support Site

Any suggestions helpful

I am trying to get to the AB Automation Fair next week in Baltimore (I Am in DC) Any suggestions on who I could talk to there that may have additional insight? Currently I plan to be there Wednesday afternoon if I can get time off from Full time job

Jim Magee

Adjunct Professor

How is your driver configured?
Do a screen capture so that we can see.
Driver.jpg

Again I will throw out my pennies worth even if it is redundant info.

This is the SLC500 modular manual:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um011_-en-p.pdf

As mentioned the 5/02 should be DH485 with a default baud of 19200. RSLinx should be 2.41 or above. If you change an address with the UIC you have too reboot it.

This is a technote for the UIC that may help:
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/FD0A1EA0F777841F85256FA5005A855B?OpenDocument

This is about the address changing:
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/A8444B02E175D08085256E74006FC39F?OpenDocument

This shows how to reset to default:
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/F136DED23C7F35CD85256AFB00620F9E?OpenDocument

This shows the pinouts for the cable, basically a straight thru cable:
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/F6315921381C164E85256AFB006EE6EC?OpenDocument

Same problems

Tried different PC, different cables, Haven't tried reset yet (Internet down at site, unable to pull up directions)
sc.jpg

Have tried toggling error checking from BCC to CRC and back (In BCC mode RSLINK diagnostics reports no return packets)
Verified port is set to 19.2/8/none/one in Windows
tried changing station number

Beginning to wonder if all my PLCs or UICs are bad. I am not sure if these sucker ever worked (This is my second quarter teaching this class, previous instructor no longer at school)

I think I see the problem, as mentioned you are connecting to DH485 so I am not sure you can use DF-1 like you are. I do not have one so some of this is guessing but will not hurt to try.

The UIC is a direct replacement for the PIC therefore it should use the PIC driver in RSLINX, at least try it and see what happens.

Open RSLINX, goto Communications, configure drivers, in the drop down menu select 1747-PIC and configure it if needed then try connecting.

rsdoran said:
I think I see the problem, as mentioned you are connecting to DH485 so I am not sure you can use DF-1 like you are. I do not have one so some of this is guessing but will not hurt to try.

The UIC is a direct replacement for the PIC therefore it should use the PIC driver in RSLINX, at least try it and see what happens.

Open RSLINX, goto Communications, configure drivers, in the drop down menu select 1747-PIC and configure it if needed then try connecting.

The PIC is a RS232 to RS485 converter ( electrical)
The 1747-UIC is both electrical and protocol converter
USB to DH485 and DF1 to DH485

Last edited: