1747-UIC problems

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I have a SLC-500/ 5/03 and the chassis shorted poofing my processor. I have the source of the "poof" taken care of, now I am trying to install a used 5/03 that is from my work bench so I am sure it works. I took a screw driver, shorted the two point on the back of the processor board to wipe it memory and it blinks the Red LED to tell me it has no program. My problem is I can't download a new program. I am using a 1747-UIC because my laptop does not have a true serial port connection. I also had a Keyspan USB/RS232 converter however it is broken. I can't get my program to download. I have an account with Rockwell Software and read a couple of technotes but it didn't help. The DH485 blinking Amber LED that lasts for about two seconds, then it stops, then it blinks for another two seconds, then stops....... . I have a process down so any help anyone could be will be greatly appreciated.

Can you tell me the status of the LED's on the processor??

Yes sir, the FLT LED is blinking like it usually does when I don't a program loaded in it and the DH485 LED will light for about 2 seconds, then turn-off, wait about 5 seconds then turns on for 2 seconds, etc... . The RS232 LED blinks very dim and very rapidly for about seconds then stops, then does it again, then stops......

I have tried using the DF1 as well as the UIC protocol RSLinx and could not get it to work. It shows the 1747-UIC when I do a RSWho check, but not my processor.

Last edited:
Another bit of information is: I am using AB cable 1747-CP3. I have used this device in the past and it has worked. I don't know what I am doing wrong today.

I was under the impression that when the Red LED for FLT was flashing (and it wasn't before) that meant the program was successfully removed.

Not necessarily, I had a few that I have to do more then once, more 5/04's then 5/03 but its worth a try

Do you have another PC with a real serial port? you will not use the CP3 cable unless you have a USB adapter and you said your Keyspan was broken

The UIC will plug into the RJ45 port not the DB9

Not necessarily, I had a few that I have to do more then once, more 5/04's then 5/03 but its worth a try

Do you have another PC with a real serial port? you will not use the CP3 cable unless you have a USB adapter and you said your Keyspan was broken

The UIC will plug into the RJ45 port not the DB9

I didn't see the little dip switch inside this 1747-UIC. I changed it, it is now communicating however when I try to download the project it is now telling me not enough memory on new CPU which is 8-bit where the one I am replacing is 16-bit. I just want to double-check, the two pins on the processor to short are VBB and GND, with the battery unplugged, correct? Also, I am going to need to purchase another keyspan from you. I looked on your website but couldn't find it. I'm at this since 4am today and not at my best. LOL

I just want to double-check, the two pins on the processor to short are VBB and GND, with the battery unplugged, correct?

Yes, you may want to try making a new project and copying the logic and downloading to the CPU, not sure why but I had to do this before also... I think something in the CPU was set and I could not find it, even after resetting it

Also, I am going to need to purchase another keyspan from you. I looked on your website but couldn't find it.

I stopped selling the Keyspan... they are not built for our world (industrial) , the one I sell is better, cheaper and has a lifetime replacement

See here http://www.ind-concepts.com/CommunicationData.htm

I'm at this since 4am today and not at my best. LOL

Been there and done that :) but at least you are making progress...