Quick Question...JIC Electrical

chakorules

Is everyone in here still using JIC standards even though JIC has been dead for awhile now?

I am using VIA which uses JIC or IEC symbols...(i get to choose!)

Just curious....

Thanks

JIC is apparently still alive. Niagra Mohawk Power in the state of New York is still going by the JIC standard. We have had a heck of a time satisfying them with the drawings. :(

Although JIC may still be cited, it no longer exists (probably for the last 15 years or so). Currently NFPA is the equivalent standard. For many of us on this site, NFPA 79 would cover most of our issues.

If you are referring to the standard JIC symbols for electrical diagrams, my experience is that in the US most drawings don't stray too far from the original standards. That is primarily because of inertia, not because of any written rules.

The drawing symbols used are really a matter of local convention. If you do a lot of work outside the US then other symbols may be appropriate, but in the US the "old standby" stuff works just fine. When you get right down to it, the differences are fairly insignificant - I've never had trouble figuring out circuits from European diagrams. If you put a little legend on the drawing set with your symbols then anyone can work with the drawings.

After all, many of us work with very different sets of symbols for the same thing every day. The ladder diagrams use one symbol for a motor starter, and the one-line diagrams use a slightly different one. A pressure switch on a P & I Diagram looks nothing like one on a ladder diagram.

jic electrical standards

Would anyone know how to obtain the latest copy of NFPA or JIC Electrical Standards? Also, European Standards. My JIC publication is one of the last-'80 and I wasn't sure if there was any updates, or if JIC is no longer a standard.