Raspberry PI as VPN Hamachi Connection

Sphinxj

Hey there everyone. What I am trying to complete is deploying this PI in the field with a service tech. They will connect the PI to a local switch in a machine that has components with static IPs attached to it. The PI will either connect to the internet through a wifi adapter, or through a cellular adapter. The PI will have a static IP so it can communicate to the devices inside the machine. Back at the shop, I want to be able to connect to that network so I can make changes to the devices in that machine (PLC, HMI, etc).

I have Hamachi loaded on the PI right now, and I am able to access it from a different network, but I can not see any of the connected devices. I am sure I have a setting incorrect or something. Has anyone got this to work yet? I have the pi set as a Gateway through Hamachi.

I don't have a clue how this software works but it can't access anything the RPI OS can't access by itself.

So if you log in to the RPI can you access / ping or whatever the devices you want to talk to?
Also, have you setup a static network address on the RPI?

The way I have it set up at the moment has a static address set for the ethernet port. I have a wireless ethernet adapter to access the internet that is set for DHCP. I need this wireless ethernet adapter to remain DHCP as I will not be able to set a static IP when it is in the plant.

I can see the RPI through Hamachi, but I can not access the PLC or other devices on the network.

I do not know Hamachi but i have used other vpn software and then i need to enable ip forwarding on the remote computer (the rpi in this case) and on the local computer i add a route to the remote network.

Example: (from the command line type) route add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.255 7.207.172.255 metric 1

(192.168.1.0 is the base ip of the remote network, 7.x is the vpn ip)

I will check out Hamachi someday btw, i have too wanted to utilize a rpi for this purpose :)

I do not know Hamachi but i have used other vpn software and then i need to enable ip forwarding on the remote computer (the rpi in this case) and on the local computer i add a route to the remote network.

Example: (from the command line type) route add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.255 7.207.172.255 metric 1

(192.168.1.0 is the base ip of the remote network, 7.x is the vpn ip)

I will check out Hamachi someday btw, i have too wanted to utilize a rpi for this purpose :)

I have not added the routing yet, and maybe that is my problem. I will try to tackle that in the next few days. Thanks.