Recovering Passwords from a FactoryTalk View ME Application ?

Good Morning ,

We have a machine with CompactLogix and a Panelview Plus 700. This machine is about a 2 years old , and nobody has the password to be able to access certain screens. I have the ME application , and I am wondering if I can recover the passwords from the HMI application. I imagine when you are building the application that you create the user names and passwords within the application , correct ? So it seems that the passwords and user names should be in application . I have done a few FactoryTalk View ME applications , but I have never done any with password needed.

Thanks in advance ,

Recover? I don't know offhand.

Reset? Sure, just create new user/pass combos in studio and assign the correct rights. Recompile and push back to the panel.

The user names will show up, but with the passwords all you can do is change them, it wont show what the passwords are. Thats part of the security of it.

Recover is probably not the correct term. When the person did the application he had to create a password , create a runtime , download to the panelview , and look for the operator to match that password from the onscreen keypad ,
it seems to me. So it seems like the password would be on the HMI application.
Do you folks sometimes keep them in the plc ?

Thanks,

So, It could be done any number of ways.

If the programmer used PLC logic to set conditional bits, Then you can possible recover the passcode from the PLC program itself. Assuming of course, That it isn't buried in a locked AOI.

If the programmer used FT username/passwords to set security levels, Use studio to correct that.

So, It could be done any number of ways.

If the programmer used PLC logic to set conditional bits, Then you can possible recover the passcode from the PLC program itself. Assuming of course, That it isn't buried in a locked AOI.

If the programmer used FT username/passwords to set security levels, Use studio to correct that.

You said you have the ME application. Open the project in Studio. Under the Graphics folder you will find all the Displays. Open the Display and on an open area on the display right click and select Display Settings you will see the security code required to view screen at runtime. An * means all. A letter "A" thru "P"means user must have that right.

Display Settings.PNG

I have the ME application , and I am wondering if I can recover the passwords from the HMI application.
a) If you have only the .mer file, you need to re-create the .apa project.

b) If you have the .apa file, then you can assign new passwords to the existent users. As said before, you can check each protected display and see what security code was previously asigned.

c) Remember: if you're using ME Runtime 4.00 or later you need to manage users/passwords from System folder (in the FTV Explorer).