Red Lion G313, AB L5K file and data tags

dginbuffalo

Hello all,
Back with some questions since it's been a few years since i used a Compactlogic and G315. Mainly, questions as follows:

Native tags via L5K Driver: there's a version 1.04 and 2.0. It seems 2.0 makes you manually pull all the tags in, where 1.04 pulls them in automatically. Is there any other differences?

Is there a way to automatically pull L5k tags into Red Lion Data Tags?

Thanks in advance!

The 2.0 driver is much faster then the 1.04 driver, although it also requires that the processor be in slot 0.

I know no way of automatically migrating the L5K tags to the RL Data tags, but it isn't bad to do manually.

The above listed technote only deals with the older 1.xx series driver, and it doesn't 'import' anything, it just creates a master list to pick from.

Rdrast has pointed out that I missed the main part of the question.

You do need to create the tags manually. If you duplicate every Plc tag in addition to the requisite him tags you will be in for a very long and dreary process.

My method is to create the HMI program with everything mapped to internal tags. I then go to my tag database and link the internal tags to the imported Plc database. That way only data I am actively using is fooled with.

If I have a large bank of data to display, like live vfd data, I link the data display directly to the Plc tag. This is assuming that I am not indexing a display through a data set. I would create a tag array for that purpose and link the array.

When I first started importing tags into C3 several years ago I thought it was a pain and very redundant. I know prefer this method, since I've learned how to streamline my development.

Thanks for all the info! So is there any other differences in the 2.0 driver that I should worry about?
There was a problem with 2.0 not reestablishing lost Comms on some newer Compact Logix processors, but apparently it has been fixed:

Build 599.000 (1/27/14)
Fixed L5K V2.00 driver failing to reconnect to device

With the software being free and it automatically updating the drivers on a download there should be no reason to ever have anything other than the latest build in my mind. I've not used a lot of Red Lion in the past but it is quickly growing on me.

Kraken Fan #69