Relocating and the Job Search

godfrey

Has anyone relocated to take another job? I'm trying to find work in North Carolina but I'm geting signals that they only like to hire locals. What can I say besides "Willing to Relocate" that will convince recruiters or employers to at least let me come down for an interview?

Generally, statements like 'local candidates preferred' are an indication that the company won't pick up your relocation expenses, nor will they pay your expenses to come for an interview. The problem is, you never get the chance to tell somebody that you're willing to come for a visit on your own nickel. The drones that cull the resumes aren't paid to think. They're only paid to weed out the 'non-compliant' applications.

The same goes for actual credentials. If the job description says 'degree required' but says nothing about equivalent experience considered, the flesh peddlers will toss out a person with five years worth of experience but no degree, but pass a fresh graduate with zero experience.

If you can talk to a human, you might be able to get your point across. You can try explaining your willingness to pay your own way in the cover letter, but there's no guarantee that the screener will read it.

Good luck

I normally tell I will relocate at my own expense unless its posted that they are paying for relocation. I wouldn't have an issue with paying for my own relocation If I new I was moving to a nice area with a good job. I feel its worth it to pay

Most good companies will pay for the relocation of non hourly employees, the great ones pay for them ,too. Good luck!!!!And if I may insert a plug, The Bowling Green,Ky area is a great place to come to, unemployment is at about 3%, and we have just landed a couple of new plants that will be hiring well trained people.
David

What can you say about chances for foreign citizen? Can I find work? I'm bottling lines setup man (SIG, Krones). I know Step 7 too. I served automation systems of boiler-houses, boiler was "Veismann", WEISHAUPT .

It is an area in North Carolina around the cities of Raleigh and Durham. There is a lot of business and industry there, although the climate sucks - especially for a person from Europe and Russia...

Valera,

Answering your first question: I don't think anyone would go through the trouble of obtaining a work visa for a controls person, unless, of course, there is some manager who knows you personally. Yes, there is a lot of people from abroad, including Russia, who work in the States by invitation from american businesses, but those are usually scientists, high-end programmers and the like, i.e. people with unique experience and training. Engineers and maintenance professionals usually don't fall into that category.

If you find a way to enter the United States in some other legal way, you definitely may try your luck, but you will be on your own. As far as I know, the general opinion about the level of knowledge and the abilities of Russian professionals is quite good. As a matter of fact, hardly anyone would ever ask you to show your engineering or technical diploma (if you have one); a few technical questions during an interview will show who you are and what you know. Of course, an ability to communicate in English (even with a heavy accent) is an important asset - no one would be willing to hire a person he cannot communicate with - even less to put him to potentially dangerous job.

An important thing to know that the job market in the controls field has been quite bad in the last couple of years. We just keep our fingers crossed and waiting for it to improve. There is a little bit more controls people on unemployment now that we all would like to see...

All above is just my personal opinion - I could be wrong...

2 guest

It sucks in Chicago too - twice as much: both in winter and summer. :)
In NC it sucks only in summer months. For a guy from Russia, like Valera, summer in Eastern US will feel quite disagreeable...