remote access to Rockwell logix controller

Kataeb

Trying to setup a machine to be accessed remotely, with the below Rockwell hardware, we tried as per the below link, and it works.
The only problem is that it requires a fixed ip address for the laptop. Any ideas how to make it automatic? so we can have access from any office.

1783-BMS20CGN 20 Ports - Managed Switch
1756-L83E , 1756-L81ES , 1756-EN2TR

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/587792/redirect

Kataeb: Hello. I am not sure I understand your question. The PC needs an IP address that is compatible with the subnet on which the 1756-EN2TR is configured. So if the 1756-EN2TR has for example IP address 192.168.1.100 subnet mask 255.255.255.0, then your PC needs an IP address that will be unique (in other words no other device connected the network has the same IP address) and compatible with the subnet 192.168.1.XXX.
Whether the PC gets the IP address assigned manually or dinamically does not matter.
Now, if your PC has some settings that do not allow you to change the IP address, you either need administrator rights to change the IP address if the PLC system has its IP settings assigned manually and there is no DHCP server in the network. if you do not have the credentials on your PC, maybe a USB-LAN adapter could be configured manually for servicing this network.
Not sure if I am addressing your issue.

OK, the technote is explaining how to configure the STRATIX switch.
One question, is this a brand-new STRATIX switch or is it already configured. If the system is configured, do you know the IP addresses of the STRATIX switch and the 1756-EN2TR? it makes no difference whether you connect to the 1756-EN2TR or the STRATIX. You need to have compatible IP settings between the PC and the 1756-EN2TR, and it does not matter if the settings on the PC are set dynamically or statically, as long as they are correct.