Remote Access to RSLogix

I use VPN all the time to get into our plant network, but I run RSLogix and Linx locally on my PC here. It's faster than Terminal Services of PCAnywhere, I don't have to rely on any particular computer being powered up at work, and I don't have to install background programs/services I don't need there.

If you can't go direct, then get a box set up with Logix/Linx at work, leave it up all the time, and put a remote-desktop server on it like PCAnywhere or "Beyond Remote"

Just spoke with a very nice lady at RA and as of right now, remote desktop and the factory talk activation don't play well together and they are working on a fix.
She suggested other packages but again there is a known bug/issue with remote desktop and factory talk.

So, if you can use something other then remote desktop.

Activation Differences

I have two Win2003 servers connected to PLC's with RSLinx and RSLogix 500. One has the old EV activation, the other has the new Factory Talk activation. EV activation works perfectly with Remote Desktop; FT activation doesn't work at all with Remote Desktop. If you find any way to work through the option tags on the Terminal Services to enable this, let us know.

Also concerning Remote Desktop control of RSLinx, you should use the /console option flag when you need to access the RSLinx GUI remotely. Create a copy of your "Remote Desktop Connection" shortcut and change the target line from "%SystemRoot%\System32\mstsc.exe" to "%SystemRoot%\System32\mstsc.exe /console". Note that this login conflicts with any user physically logged in at the terminal.

Are you using Node Locked or Concurrent activations? The remote computer can use the concurrent activation by making a connection to the Activation Server via TCP/IP.

We are using node-locked activations. If I open RSLogix500 from the console physically in front of the machine, I can open Remote Desktop with /console and resume the console session remotely, using any program that I already had open (including RSLogix). If I close RSLogix, though, I cannot re-open the program remotely. I hope this helps.

From looking at the Rockwell knowledgebase, it looks like you need to upgrade to concurrent FT Activations to make that work. From the description of your issue that it works locally and not through RD, that seems to support that idea. From the KB document I pasted below, looks like a couple of different solutions work, they just don't officially support them.

From KB #33700
FactoryTalk Activation node-locked activations cannot be used in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services session, whether those node-locked activations are installed on the local or remote computer. Concurrent activations may be used by remote computers during a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services session when those computers can make a TCP/IP connection to a FactoryTalk Activation Server. Configure the remote computers Client Activation Path (via the FactoryTalk Activation Tool) to point to the appropriate server name.

Remote desktop display utilities (e.g. VNC, PC Anywhere) may allow the use of a node-locked activation on a remote computer. Rockwell Automation does not endorse or support any remote desktop display solutions of this type.

Kyle,

I use LogmeIn also and it's great. I monitor a refrigeration system and three plc's and two computers running Rsview32 and it works great.

I added an alarm dialer (viking) and when I get a call I log on and check it out, works great at 3 am instead of driving to the plant

Clint