Replacing a Customer's Damaged Panelview 550, P/N 2711-K5A2

I'm starting to look into transferring it. The biggest hurdle is the RS485 communication. The PVP7 is only Ethernet, so I would have to upgrade the SLC CPU to a 5/05, or have a different solution with a Micrologix networked to the SLC's I/O. In theory, with enough time, I could figure either one out. But I'm a little hesitant to jump on this train during a very busy time of year. I could go with a PVP6, but that will be obsolete this fall, and we're back at the beginning.
SLC505 is about $8000 now. For this money you can get compactlogix and PV+. If you can sell this idea to customer it will generate good profit for your company (design, migration programming, wiring, onsite support, etc). Customer will get good upgrade without marriage of outdated and new controls.

I'm seriously considering quoting the Red Lion. I've only programmed one RL HMI, and it's been a few years now, so I don't know the panel choices very well. What would be a comparable panel to the PV550? Thoughts?

I'm starting to look into transferring it. The biggest hurdle is the RS485 communication. The PVP7 is only Ethernet, so I would have to upgrade the SLC CPU to a 5/05, or have a different solution with a Micrologix networked to the SLC's I/O. In theory, with enough time, I could figure either one out. But I'm a little hesitant to jump on this train during a very busy time of year. I could go with a PVP6, but that will be obsolete this fall, and we're back at the beginning.

Paul: I just *knew* you were going to mention the Red Lion conversion. With the above issues, I might have to consider that. I'm just afraid of taking on too many things at once. ...and I'd really like to get good at this.

The Red Lion (any model) will do DH485 nicely and you can use its Ethernet port for remote view/control. We use a lot of CR3000 7" now and get them for a little over $1000. Two Ethernet ports, several serial ports. You just need the right cable or its equivalent (see link below). Also you will need to fabricate an adapter plate. We've been making adapter plates from a sheet of ABS plastic we bought from a local supplier in places where the chemistry is more favorable to plastic than steel.

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/red-lion-controls/cblab003/70030999/

Last edited:
Paul,
You should take a look at the Weintek/Weinview/Maple we sell a LOT of these https://www.plccable.com/weintek-we...1ie-ethernet-compatible-w-allen-bradley-plcs/

I know you (and myself) are Red Lion users but the price on these are getting hard to beat

I would lose the $700 savings in development time. I can crank out Red Lion apps so fast now...even if they were expensive as A/B I would still be way ahead by sticking with Crimson.

I downloaded the Weintek software a couple of years ago and poked around in it for a minute. I am a Crimson snob...I admit it. Using anything else for me now is like switching from Playstation to Pong.

I will take Pong any day (thats all I can handle)... but I do understand the learning new software, I am still battling CCW and now I have a Do-More project in the works :rolleyes:

even if they were expensive as A/B I would still be way ahead by sticking with Crimson.

Dont tell the to Red Lion :)

I can save you about 7000 on that :) https://www.plccable.com/search.php?search_query=5/05&section=product

Paul,
You should take a look at the Weintek/Weinview/Maple we sell a LOT of these https://www.plccable.com/weintek-we...1ie-ethernet-compatible-w-allen-bradley-plcs/

I know you (and myself) are Red Lion users but the price on these are getting hard to beat

Look at that... Just about the time everything settles down, Mark comes along and shakes things up a little. ;)

I recently had a guy come to me with a cut-off machine idea. He had all the hardware quoted, including a Weintek HMI. Like Paul, I downloaded the software and poked around a little. Interesting... but I'd have to learn the software, too. I do love the Red Lion. I can't ignore the Weintek price, though. Thanks for sharing that, Mark. I had no idea. I wish I felt comfortable with the durability question. The reason the customer is looking at a fix is that the PV got some hydraulic fluid sprayed on it, and the lower part of the screen is not readable. This is my co-tech's customer, so I don't know much about the environment yet. I just assume it's a little rough.

I'm tempted in getting one of your panels just to learn with, Mark.... you know, in my *spare* time.

Dont tell the to Red Lion :)

I like Red Lion stuff, but their prices are getting high around here. A 7" PV5510 is less that a 7" Graphite. I also haven't been able to spec the HMI in a couple years due to customers wanting A-B. They usually want a PV+, but every time I was able to talk them in to a PV5510. Just can't get them into any other brands like I use to. Ho-Hum...

One more possible choice is a Panelview 800. I recently replaced a PV550, RIO to a SLC, with a 7” PV800 on the serial port of the SLC. Unfortunately it is a different cutout size so we made a bezel to hide the old holes.

One more possible choice is a Panelview 800..

Agree I have a lot of schools buying them for trainers and teaching students... I have not used one but I think they are maybe doing like APPLE did and give it to students so in the future they will be a APPLE/PV user

borisuk said:
You could save my customer about $4500 if I bought SLC 5/05 Processor 64K from you.

Not bad, we sell a lot of used ones because we offer a 12 month warranty and most of our customers are frugal