RSLinx-DH485-PCMK- Blue Death

allscott

I am using XP PRo and RSlinx Lite V 2.43.01.23. I am trying to set up my PCMK for use with DH485

As soon as I try to configure a driverand enter a node # for my laptop Windows crashes with a Bad_Pool_Header error and a physical dump of memory.

I searched the knowledge base and ID 29408 is the only thing taht seems close.

I know I've done this with this laptop and version of linx before. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

thanks.

allscott said:
I am using XP PRo and RSlinx Lite V 2.43.01.23. I am trying to set up my PCMK for use with DH485

As soon as I try to configure a driverand enter a node # for my laptop Windows crashes with a Bad_Pool_Header error and a physical dump of memory.

I searched the knowledge base and ID 29408 is the only thing taht seems close.

I know I've done this with this laptop and version of linx before. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

thanks.
I thought DH485 was serial and PCMK was DH+.

You might want to verify the device selected when configuring the driver. One time I inadvertantly chose KTX(D) instead of the PCMK which caused conflicts which gave me the "blue screen of death."

I went to regedit and deleted the driver that I misconfigured and then reconfigured the RSLinx driver correctly.

--Bobby

Thanks, I cleaned out the registry, reinstalled the driver and all is well, kind of.

I am dealing with a micrologix 1500 for the first time. I have dealt with SLC's and PLC 5's for years and thought I had the whole communication thing figured out. But I can't connect to a 1500 right out of the box.

Some questions.

I've tried connecting with DF1 as that is supposed to be default. I am using a standard serial cable and a 9 pin D to round connector (same one I use for a PLC5). No luck.

The DCOMM light isn't on and when I push the comm button it doesn't do anything?

I thought maybe somehow it was configured for DH485 which is what brought on my first post. No luck with it either.

What am I overlooking?

Here's some areas that I would check.

Are you able to get the DF-1 Driver to Auto Configure?

Is the com port and other settings correct in the DF-1 Driver?

Is the driver started in RSLinx?

Not that it makes any difference, but I feel your pain. It seems like getting comms established is about 50% of the jobs that I go on.

--Bobby

allscott said:
Thanks, I cleaned out the registry, reinstalled the driver and all is well, kind of.

I am dealing with a micrologix 1500 for the first time. I have dealt with SLC's and PLC 5's for years and thought I had the whole communication thing figured out. But I can't connect to a 1500 right out of the box.

Some questions.

I've tried connecting with DF1 as that is supposed to be default. I am using a standard serial cable and a 9 pin D to round connector (same one I use for a PLC5). No luck.

The DCOMM light isn't on and when I push the comm button it doesn't do anything?

I thought maybe somehow it was configured for DH485 which is what brought on my first post. No luck with it either.

What am I overlooking?

No, no, don't use that 1784-CP7 adapter. It's for old 1784-PCM6 cables and DH+ ports. It shouldn't fit in the MicroLogix !

Get a normal 1761-CBL-PM02 programming cable. People have been using these for connecting to MicroLogix controllers since 1996.

Press and hold the DCOMM button for a few seconds. The DCOMM LED will assuredly turn on. I don't know any any settings that prevent that function from working.

Ken Roach said:
No, no, don't use that 1784-CP7 adapter. It's for old 1784-PCM6 cables and DH+ ports. It shouldn't fit in the MicroLogix !

Get a normal 1761-CBL-PM02 programming cable. People have been using these for connecting to MicroLogix controllers since 1996.

Press and hold the DCOMM button for a few seconds. The DCOMM LED will assuredly turn on. I don't know any any settings that prevent that function from working.

Fits like a glove but I guess if its not the right adapter I will get another cable. Not to bash AB but this will be 4 different serial cables I will own for AB products!

It doesn't seem to matter how long I hold the comms button the DCOMM light never comes on. The run, fault, and force lights are all blinking as well.

Is it possible I damaged something in the CPU or base unit by hooking up with the wrong cable?

allscott said:
Fits like a glove ....Is it possible I damaged something in the CPU or base unit by hooking up with the wrong cable?
It definitely should not fit. Damage is likely to be physical resulting from forcing the fit.

Were all those LEDs blinking when you bought it ? That sounds like a hardware failure indication to me. The RUN LED never blinks under normal operation.

Is this controller secondhand ? What is the exact part number from the label ?

Well maybe it shouldn't fit but it does. This isn't my first rodeo, I've been doing this for years, I wasn't trying to put a square peg in a round hole. The fit was snug for sure but I did not force it in there.

I would think that any physical damage would be to the little pins on the converter not on the female end.

Looks like I screwed up, I've done it before and will do it again. Luckily I get things right about 90% of the time. I'm new to the place I am working at and didn't even know we had any micrologix controllers. I got called because the one we have was faulted. I spent some time trying to go online to see what the fault was with the tools I had and gave up and just reset the power and away it went. Found out we had a spare so I figured I'd try and connect to it and here we are..... I will get the proper cable and go from there.

I am a little choked that AB would make two different connectors that look identical. If they are different you would never be able to tell with the naked eye. Again not bashing as I prefer AB products in general and appreciate in particular Ken's help, just a little choked.

Go ahead say it, RTFM

The difference is minute, and you are not the 1st one to do this. Look carefully at the middle row of pins and you will see a slight difference in the spacing.

Ken Roach said:
Were all those LEDs blinking when you bought it ? That sounds like a hardware failure indication to me. The RUN LED never blinks under normal operation.

Is this controller secondhand ? What is the exact part number from the label ?

I will have to check the part # tommorrow. The controller is brand new from an AB distributor. It has been sitting as a spare for I don't know how long. I can't honestly say if those lights were blinking on initial power up, I expect blinking lights on a controller out of the box and didn't pay any attention to it. I just tried to connect to it.

I have had a blinking fault light on a ML1200. I discovered, on the Knowledge Base, that a blinking fault light is an indication of an internal non resetable error. The dcomm would also not work. I ended up sending it out for repair.

Ok, first of all it is a 1764-LSP Ser A Rev B. I have the right cable now and can autoconfigure and find the processor in linx. When I try to either go online or download in RSlogix I get either a "No response from processor ...." error. When I try Who active I get a "incompatible processor" error.

I think I broke the processor. Is there any way to do some sort of master reset on these? I know the book says not to pull the battery out.