RSview32 Micrologix1500 Com Issue

jalmen

Hi Everyone,

Over the summer I have started to run into a particular problem with a couple of different laptops. On an older system we use RSview32 to monitor a 1500 PLC through rslinx classic.

On some of our laptops the rsview project looses the ability to write to tags on the PLC. The project reads tags from the PLC perfectly fine. No errors show up in rsview or rslinx. The only difference I have found between a working laptop and ones with this error is that in the rswho page of linx the status of the processor shows up as invalid.

I have tried fully uninstalling rsview and linx. The only way to fix the problem I have done is to do a complete re install of the OS.

Would any one know of a way to find the exact problem these laptops are encountering?

Thanks for the help,

Hi Everyone,

Over the summer I have started to run into a particular problem with a couple of different laptops. On an older system we use RSview32 to monitor a 1500 PLC through rslinx classic.

On some of our laptops the rsview project looses the ability to write to tags on the PLC. The project reads tags from the PLC perfectly fine. No errors show up in rsview or rslinx. The only difference I have found between a working laptop and ones with this error is that in the rswho page of linx the status of the processor shows up as invalid.

I have tried fully uninstalling rsview and linx. The only way to fix the problem I have done is to do a complete re install of the OS.

Would any one know of a way to find the exact problem these laptops are encountering?

Thanks for the help,

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't have an immediate solution to your problem, however, to allow the Forum to help you. Please list the following information.

Computer Operating System Version including Service Pack.

RSView and RSLinx Versions.

Exact Communications Method. i.e. Straight Serial via Null Modem Cable.

Version of MicroLogix 1500 and Firmware. i.e. LRP Series A etc.

Is it possible you have a bad Serial Port on either the PC or MicroLogix? It is possible you are losing on side of the Communications, while the other is still working.

Stu....

The laptops that have run into this problem are running xp SP2. We are using rslinx 2.54 and rsview 7.2 with just a straight serial connection. The PLC is a LRP Series C.

I know that the problem is on the side of the laptop, as when we connect a different laptop running the same project it works correctly.

Just gonna throw this out there. Maybe you have already looked at this possibility. Is it possible you are having Harmony issues? I have had some strange stuff happen like this before and usually deleting Harmony files will help out.

Give the info below a try just in case cache files are in conflict with your project.

A repair I do if any issue crops up, is to shut down the project, then in Windows Explorer, go into the project folder, open the cache folder, and blow away all files in that cache folder, they will be rebuilt on the next start up.

The next thing I do is go to the projects Tag folder, and look for one file with "the project name".cac
I THEN BLOW THAT ONE ONLY AWAY, leaving all the other files in that folder, this .cac file also will be rebuilt on project start up.

Then shut down computer and reboot and run your project.

I cant promise this will fix your problem, but it wont harm it either.

PLC Pie Guy mentions the Harmony files for RSLinx they are also cache files that get rebuilt on start up.

Just gonna throw this out there. Maybe you have already looked at this possibility. Is it possible you are having Harmony issues? I have had some strange stuff happen like this before and usually deleting Harmony files will help out.

To achieve what PLC Pie Guy suggested, shutdown RSLinx.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to;

C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon

Delete the two Harmony Files. Usually Harmony.rsh and Harmony.hrc, but the Harmony.rsh may appear as just Harmony.

Restart your Computer, and then restart RSLinx.

Stu....

Thank you for the suggestions. I have gone through them all but I still have the com issue. I will try to clear out all of the caches at ounce today to see if that will make a difference.

Justin

By all means try to remove those Cache files in one swipe it wont hurt.

An additional thing you could try is to shut down as much as you can, and then go to the Task Manager and End any programs that have the number 32 in there name, most if not all will be RSView, then shut down the computer and restart this gets rid of any duplicates or programs that did not close properly.