Sad News to Report...

Two or three times in my life I was foolish enough to place myself in the precarious position of having to stare death directly in the face. During these episodes, the exact same thoughts and questions race through my mind:

Have I made a difference?
Is the world a better place for me having been here?Will I be remembered? By whom and for what?
I will tell you, not being able to answer these questions in an adequate manner causes a certain sense of panic that I wonder if few know or understand.

When Ron gets his chance as self-examination he should rest assured that he has made a big difference. The world is a much better place for his participation. And he will be forever remembered by many for his thousands of dedicated hours lending much needed assistance to others, with little or no expectations of returns. People like Ron are few and far between. Time is perhaps ones most precious commodity. You can spend it, but you can’t buy it back for any price. Ron generously offered and gave his time freely to all whom would take it.

The world is at a great loss, however we are now, and forever will be very fortunate for having him. Right now I feel as if somebody has drilled a hole in my chest. But within few days I plan to gather my wits and celebrate the fact that I was so very fortunate to have encountered a man such as this. I pray that everyone who knew him will do the same.

God bless you Ron, as he has blessed us with your presence.

this is truly sad news, my thoughts go out to his family!

how about a hall of fame, or a legends kind of thing added to this site? he would surley deserve a place in that! as would a few others!
RIP Ron

R.I.P., friend

While I never got the chance to meet Ron personally, I like everyone else here enjoyed and LEARNED from the depth and breadth of his knowledge, freely given. I will miss him terribly.

I never thought I would be choked up to learn of the passing of someone I have never met. I was wrong.

Although Ron and I had a couple of spats here over the years I never underestimated his experience and had a deep respect for his dedication to teaching his craft to others. My thoughts are with the Doran family.

Scott Fleming

I’m not a prolific poster here, but I’ve seen the help that Ron has given freely to so many people.

Having survived a brain haemorrhage (a type of stroke) last year, I have since got involved with supporting others in similar situations. I know that Ron will always be remembered here, but my thoughts and prayers are with the forgotten sufferers, his family, at this difficult time.

Regards
Keith

Wow, Ron... what can I say?

There's an new/old saying: the person you are online is the person you wish you were in life. I knew Ron only from the net, but the man I knew was a rare gem.

I remember how, at time, he seemed unsure of himself, lacking confidence, and I hope that we were able to give some of that back to him. On a couple of occasions, when he discussed leaving, there was always an outpouring from the community asking him to stay. We knew how valuable he was to us, and I hope he felt that as well.

One of the things I admired most about him was his ambition - going back to school at such a late stage in his life, firing up patchn.com, and all the endless help he passed out to the people here.

Ron and I joined the group the same month, April of 2002. My post count is about 800, his about 8000. Looking back, I think he participated in about 90% of the threads here. Ron was one of our primary voices, and it's silence will be deafening for those of us who remember him.

TM

It is strange how I can get so choked up by someone I never met personally but he was such a part of this community that he will be very sorely missed. Ron did not just pass on his great electrical/control skills to us. He passed on a lot of great Wisdom and Life skills. You both taught and touched a lot of us. We will miss you.

Bud

I have not had a chance to participate much on this forum lately, but I do remember Ron as a very caring and helpful individual who helped me several times with very precise and detailed advice. I am very sorry to hear about his passing and would like to extend my condolences to his family. Ron and myself have exchanged some e-mails and information regarding web site development and search engine optimization. I know that he had fair amount of unique daily visitors to his web site. I have now noticed that his forum has been shut down. If I may offer a word of advise to Ron's widow, www.patchn.com may be worth some money, for what it's worth I would put it up for sale on http://www.sedo.com
This is the biggest web site for auctioning and selling web sites.

Sincerely
Jiri Toman

I too have had many exchanges with our friend and colleague Ron Doran. I posted my condolences on the patchn website but feel it appropriate to add my comments here among so many of his friends. We shall surely miss his input, insight and good humor. Rest well my friend!

Jiri Toman said:
I have not had a chance to participate much on this forum lately, but I do remember Ron as a very caring and helpful individual who helped me several times with very precise and detailed advice. I am very sorry to hear about his passing and would like to extend my condolences to his family. Ron and myself have exchanged some e-mails and information regarding web site development and search engine optimization. I know that he had fair amount of unique daily visitors to his web site. I have now noticed that his forum has been shut down. If I may offer a word of advise to Ron's widow, www.patchn.com may be worth some money, for what it's worth I would put it up for sale on http://www.sedo.com
This is the biggest web site for auctioning and selling web sites.

Sincerely
Jiri Toman

As far as I can see patchn.com is still running (although obviously not for long without an owner/administrator). I know that Ron was having difficulty keeping it going. Part of the reason is that a lot of the electrical/maintenance type posts ended up here. I am not suggesting this is a bad thing it's just what happened.

I too was wondering what might happen to it? I'm not sure I have the time or web site savy to tackle it. Should it be saved? Is any one else thinking about what might happen to it?

I'm sure that Ron's web site is the last thing his family is thinking of now. With all the work that Ron put into it, it would be a shame if it just dissappeared.

thoughts?

I don't know what to say but I do wish to express that I am among the many who will miss him and that he was one of those here that inspired me to offer help whenever I can. How he found the time and patience to help so many is beyond me. Thanks Ron.

allscott said:
As far as I can see patchn.com is still running (although obviously not for long without an owner/administrator). I know that Ron was having difficulty keeping it going. Part of the reason is that a lot of the electrical/maintenance type posts ended up here. I am not suggesting this is a bad thing it's just what happened.

I too was wondering what might happen to it? I'm not sure I have the time or web site savy to tackle it. Should it be saved? Is any one else thinking about what might happen to it?

I'm sure that Ron's web site is the last thing his family is thinking of now. With all the work that Ron put into it, it would be a shame if it just dissappeared.

thoughts?

Ron’s wife would like for it to keep running and preserve Ron’s name in that manner.

There are a few people that are working on this and will keep it running… there is a ton of information there and Ron would of loved it to stay afloat... i'm sure