Scan time for Mitzi A series

Badger

G'Day chaps. I have a mitzi A series controlling a light test machine for Auto' headlamps. Problem is operator flicks start whisker and there is a 1 second delay before the safety door drops. A new operator thought the machine did not start and put her head into the machine, door (with bump strip) hit her on the head no damage just fright factor. Can I reduce the time,presumably to allow the machine to check presence of parts/barcode etc, between the start being activated, and door moving, bearing in mind the pgm is about 3000 steps. I thought maybe 0.3 seonds should be enough. your opinions will be appreciated.

BADGER
On our site the start activation is done on machines that require the start to be held in place while an alarm sounds for a period of time that will announce the machine is a bout to start.
A few thoughts on this principle may help like can the start whisker be held until door is recognised as shut. can the whisker having actuated the start cycle sound an alarm if the machine has said all is present and ok and I am going to close the door and alarm stops when door is detected as shut.
SteveB

Badger,

Am I correct in reading that your 3000 step program has a 300ms scan time? If so, then it seems to me you have a very intensive progam that may need some attention. Even my longest, most complex programs rarely have anything longer than a 30ms scan time.

It also seems that your application (closing of a safety door) might not be properly guarded itself. Your safety circuits SHOULD be designed to prevent ALL opportunities for injury including the operator getting into a safety door that is closing. Some methods you could look at are light curtains, area sensors, or an edge detector.

In any event, it looks to me like you have some safety design problems.

Steve