Sercos Ultra3000 drive running a Kollmorgen servo? Is this possible?

PLCguy12

Hi. I have a ControlLogix PLC with a SERCOS card which is going to be connected to an AB Ultra3000 SERCOS drive.

Do I need to use an AB servo motor with this setup, or can I use a Kollmorgen?

I ask because the CN2 port on the Ultra3000(the encoder feedback) is a 15 pin port. I know AB servos have a 15 pin encoder pinout, but the Kollmorgen has an 8 pin encoder pinout on the servo.

Is it still possible to make this work?

Yes it can be done, but you will need to get the wiring pinouts for the motor encoder and cross match this with the AB encoder inputs, you will also need to configure the motor in the U3000 to be custom and set all the parameters manually for the motor. I have seen a Kollmorgen motor used on a U5000.

Alan

With SERCOS, you cannot configure the motor yourself. You will need AB to make a configuration file for that specific motor which does not come cheap. I looked into this last year and decided it was cheaper to use a AB MLP series motor instead of a Festo servomotor. Some Festo motors (Which may have been Kollmorgen) and AB MLP motors have identical moounting dimensions.

Thanks for the information guys.

One last thing: I may be able to get a Kollmorgen drive to match up with the Kollmorgen servos. I have heard though that these drives are a bit of a pain to work with.

Which is my better option:

1) Try to make the Kollmorgen servo work with the Ultra3000

or

2) Get the Kollmorgen drive to match the Kollmorgen servos, and deal with the Kollmorgen drive possibly being a pain in the butt

Thanks!