Servo drives, single axis motion

Actually, A-B, G&L, and maybe some others badge the Electrocraft drives. I do know that G&L was well ahead of A-B with SERCOS and co-developed the SERCOS board for the Electrocraft drive. Reliance purchased Electrocraft which eventually brought them under the Rockwell umbrella. But to answer your question, SERCOS is an international standard so these drives on Ebay would work with the A-B SERCOS controller with no problem. And as far as I can tell, the only difference in the commissioning software is the names of the drive and motor models that are selected to setup of file. I've found compatability to go both ways (Ultraware with G&L, DSAPro with Ultra drives.

Also, being comfortable with PLC's is understandable. But when motion is brought into the picture, it can add a very complex portion to the PLC. Adding a SERCOS or SERVO module to an A-B rack is not trivial. The same can be said for other brands. This is why the indexing version of the Ultra drive is so attractive for this particular application for all the reasons mentioned. It is proven reliable and the extent of any setup changes can be made in a friendly PLC like the Micrologix 1200 which will make the maintenance people happy.

Gerry. I have to disagree with the ease of DNet for motion in a simple application. I didnt mean to try and simulate the full capabilities of a motion card with the assosciated motion commands but to use a DNet enabled ultra drive to receive the index positions. Here is a link to a brochure on the subject.
http://www.ab.com/motion/controllers/2098-BR002A-EN-P_1001.pdf
Regards Alan Case

I have a machine on our floor that is getting torn down to ship that is has four Ultra 3KIs connected to a 5/04 using D-NET. Using the largest I/O assemblies made it a piece of cake to control after setting it up with Ultraware.

Gerry said:
Back on topic:

Automation-tech was the one that decided he wanted a PLC, so let's assume that he has valid reasons. He hasn't told us what he's cutting, how whatever it is gets to the index & cut gizmo, how it is taken away after cutting, or what happens to the trim. There's likely some advantage to having the control of associated equipment consolidated - for him and his clients. It's also likely that his clients - apparently spread far and wide around the US - are comfortable with PLC's..
Spot-on

Thanks for all the info…

There are several reasons that I’m going with the a plc for control, I have a pick and place, lift and transfer conveyer on the unload end, a thickness measuring system on the load end and I will need 20ish I/O’s to complete the motion (enable, disable), this will all be interfaced with a HMI, also generate downtime reports
We went the cheaper route last time, it’s a headache, not that the budget is not important, I don’t want to spend money foolishly, but if I can install a system that is readily available and is supported, then I would be able to justify the cost.

Thanks