Should You Be Registered To Post - Part 2

Should You Be Registered To Post?

• Yes! It doesn't take that much to register.

Votes: 72 83.7%
  • No! It would reduce the number of those who post.

Votes: 14 16.3%

• Total voters

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
Now that many things have taken place, we will once again ask the question.

Should you be registered to post?

Remember all those who post a question, and are never heard from again? The "One Post Wonders".

Consider those prank questions, many which had the threads deleted?

How about some of those smart alec replies, from "Guest", or "Registered User", or something similar.

Then there are the times, when it is obvious that the same name is being used by several people.

So, how 'bout it?

Register to post questions?

Register to post replies?

Enough has gone on this year to change the outcome of the last poll.

On various threads, this subject has kept popping up.

Since many have pondered their original votes, it is time for a recount.

You all have the opportunity to vote either way, and to express your own thoughts. The beauty of an open forum.

Many other forums require resistering.

Now, it is time to vote...

Thank You for your cooperation.....kc

Original Poll "LINK"

DISCLAIMER: This poll does not reflect any views of the site management, and is not binding in any way. This is a FORUM, for thoughts and views, and to discuss various topic, such as traffic light programs. It is purely for the education and and/or amusement of the community members. While addictive, this site can cuase weight gain, high blood pressure, loss of hair, and blurry vision. Parental Discretion Advised. Enter at your own risk. Never send cash through e-mail!

Remember to thank Phil the next time you see him for providing this forum for us!

Last edited:
Frankly I do not see any great advantage to registering. I have that auto register thing that is supposed to remember me. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not. I am curious why it does not seem to work all the time. Either way I seem to get the same access I need and want.

There is a claim that registering will control bad behaviour - but I have seen it from both registered and unregistered.

Dan Bentler

What could it hurt. It is not that hard to do. It would also be nice to know whether a oerson is a student, tech, engineer, or whatever. I like to see where people are from, too.

Del

Last edited:
Yes.

I use to think it wasn't necessary. I have always had the policy of not replying to guests so guest post haven't bother me.

Now I have seen what happens when forums allow unregistered users post. Check out this forum that gets spammed so much there is more spam than valid posts.
http://admin.ifps.org/phpBB2/
The administrators must spend a lot of time removing spam posts.

What I don't want to have happen, is to get a notice from this forum that some spammer has replied to my post. I don't like getting e-mails saying that someone has responded to my post just to find it is a spammer with a link to his ***** site.

I also think there should be a two level registration. The highest level requires use of the user full name. I know that many of the long time users do this already. Students and rookies can stay relatively anonymous by using nicknames or handles. The key thing is that Phil should be able to sort out who is a spammer and who isn't.

CaseyK said:
Will Fred vote?
What? No separate poll for this?... ;)

Del Monte said:
What could it hurt. It is not that hard to do. It would also be nice to know whether a oerson is a student, tech, engineer, or whatever. I like to see where people are from, too.
And sometimes it's important to know the poster's location in order to provide appropriate answers. We've all seen threads where it takes 20 posts before we realize that the original poster is talking 50Hz rather than 60... šŸ™ƒ

šŸ»

-Eric

Del Monte said:
tech, engineer, or whatever. I like to see where people are from, too.

You're relying on people putting the truth in their profiles.

'Fred' for instance, has his country flag as Ajman, but I am sure that he is from the UK. o_O

Personally, I am not fussed whether people are registered or not, Phil tracks their IP addresses, so if there is any problems they're barred.

Paul

P.S Perhaps we should hold a poll as to when people think Casey will post another poll....

i vote yes.
even if the registration tooks a lot (and it doesn't).
the feeling is different when receiving an answer from a registered or unregistered user of the forum, also when reading posts.
i don't think that everyone will register with their real data. but, its a little like a responsibility. you can not give an oppinion, and not say who you are, not showing your face (or at least a small nickname and/or avatar).
and i think that there should be a small amount of minimum data requested in the registration.
i have read a lot of posting, and it is really annoying to find in the middle a response, out of place, and out of face.

i've said.

Let those without sin cast the first stone !
You need to remember that some of your so called "regulars" have also exhibited ignorance and rudeness , sometimes just because they "have been here longer than you " , or these are my buddies so I must protect them .
I have been faced with it , but what made me laugh was that no one came to my defense , because the offender was "in the club" .

I think that some things should be stopped dead if you want to stop agro:-

Any post have any connexion with religion , race or politics - there are times that someone says something (particularly when english is a second language , during a sensitive time , then gets jumped on - maybe a misunderstanding , but who knows ? but this time , the damage is done . You don't always know where someone comes from , lives , or what their religious beliefs are , and their views on current events , so better not discuss at all

Anyone wanting something for nothing ( no , not just advice , we all need that ) , but the freeloaders wanting a job , software or their homework for nothing - this forum should be a last resort for a student , so someone gives you the answer , you now know the answer , but you sure don't understand , and this is reflected frequently in the calibre of some of the so called graduates on site .

There is such a thing a a stupid question , sometimes I believe that people need saving from themselves - if you are presented with a man , explosives , a det cord , an he ask you what will happen if he hits the det cord , this conversation surely doesn't progress , the guy needs saving from himself , and the toys taking away and not returned . Don't we owe some posters this duty as well ? there was a guy yesterday who asked what might happen if he disconnected a neutral of a distribution system - With regard to the guys feelings , we need to stop someone like this going further , not tender any more advise - safety is no joke , and I don't want a death on my conscience.

So you know what someone tells you on the profile - is this a guarantee of good advice ? I think not . I see people with degrees off the back of a packet of cornflakes who you wouldn't let put a plug on a toaster .

Since this forum isn't a "shoot 'em down" job , if someone really upsets you , ignore them , do it enough , and they get quickly bored and go away - most people then quickly learn to self sensor what they post .

Every other forum I visit (PC, 4x4, Car & ATV) all require users to register. The whole anonymous thing doesnt make any sense to me. You should have the brass to post whatever question you want, regardless of how dumb/personal it is.

My vote has not changed

This is what I said last time...and still stand by it:

If you choose just to remain in the background and obtain information, then you shouldn't have to register. By not registering, you are not restricting access to the information that is already available.

If you are going to post a question or opinion, then I strongly support registration. You now become part of the forum...part of the discussion. You are now a contributor. Would you really want anonymous contributors that may offer an opinion but are not willing to stand behind what they say?

Also, when you register with valid, verifiable information, you increase you credibility.

This is in addition to what I wrote before:

Regardless of how hot the debate is, if you are going to state your opinion or provide an answer...then you should be registered as part of the community. If you are not willing to identify yourself with your post and want to remain annonymous, then the privledge of posting should not be afforded to you.

It comes down to level of credibility and courage to stand behind anything you say.

God Bless,

Yes, register. Yes, register. Yes, register. Yes, register. Yes, register. Yes, register. Yes, register. Yes, register. Yes, register. Yes, register. Yes, register. Yes, register.

Any post have any connexion with religion , race or politics - there are times that someone says something (particularly when english is a second language , during a sensitive time , then gets jumped on - maybe a misunderstanding , but who knows ? but this time , the damage is done . You don't always know where someone comes from , lives , or what their religious beliefs are , and their views on current events , so better not discuss at all
What is this all about? In case you haven't noticed this forum is about PLCs?
If you are over sensitive or have a fragile ego then don't engage in a discussion.
I vote NO simply because there are times when I don't have
the password available and would like to post.
Also having some fun by reading those unregistered posts is
not that bad. We don't need to be all work and no fun.
I do agree with Peter though if the spam gets to be too much
you should get rid of unregistered posting but so far the spam
has been minimal. Besides, just because I have registered that doesn't mean that my profile is going to be factual.
I could possibly register under different pseudonyms and
spam away.

No!

Although I agree with a lot of the points brought up by Mr. Luft, as far as I can tell there seems to be only one or maybe two unregistered posters who seem to be consistently offensive. Registering wont stop them as they could register under any pseudo anyway.

The only way that requiring registration to have an effect is to somehow verify that the registrar is who he/she say they are. That would be a LOT of work for Phil.

I have not encountered any spam as the result of this forum, but I do guess it's possable.

Funny as it may seem, the "Unregistered Guest" actually has the best solution...Just ignore the offensive posts...