Should You Be Registered To Post - Part 2

Should You Be Registered To Post?

• Yes! It doesn't take that much to register.

Votes: 72 83.7%
  • No! It would reduce the number of those who post.

Votes: 14 16.3%

• Total voters
TimothyMoulder said:
and some number of those might have passed it by if they had to register, for fear of ending up on a spam list
That's why you set up a free [email protected] account.

There is no excuse not to register, other than to hide your own shame (as unregistered pointed out all by himself).

Anyone who reads the site knows that registered users get higher quality answers, so you're pretty much wasting your own time by not joining the community.

I love the internet. Any yahoo can jump on here and spout off about anything. It doesn't take any guts at all. Fire up a transmitter and state your full name for the record if you want someone to pay attention to you! It's a lot more rewarding in the end, too.

AK

Mercy sakes alive, I've lost track of who was who. My pappy wouldn't like that much.

I change my vote. Additionally the registar should be require to provide SS#, Cirt. True Copy of Driverslicense, Birth Cirt, and DNA sample to verify ID.o_O

TimothyMoulder said:
Would I be too far off base to say, it doesn't matter?
Not complaining - his playground, his rules, all respect and gratitude to Phil for creating this world for us. If I put him out in any way, shape or form, for that I apologize.TM
I think that I will leave it up to Phil, "his playground, his rules," and "Thanks, Phil".

Anonymous hecklers should post pictures of them selves, as their avatars.

That should be pretty funny!

Before plcs.net, I never heard of avatars, and now I gots me one!

Speaking of avatars, Gbradley's reminded me of the story a number of years back of a government advisory group for industry which adopted as its symbol the three gears fully interlocked, each gear with the other two. Of course as anyone knows this makes a situation where none of the gears can move. A great symbol for a government entity.

When some one new calls you at your place of business, what is the first thing you ask them?

What is your name? So you know to whom you are speaking.

Secondly you usually ask something like "Where are you or who do you work for?". To find out if they are with a regular customer or a NEW one.

The all "all questions in one forum" is unique to this site. At least I have not seen any other site where all posting is in one heading. I skip the forums of mfgr's I am not interested in else where. Here I at least see the question. I read most posts here as I am trying to gather a better understanding of equipment I work with.

I belong to several forums and it is a prerequisite to register to post. Usually after you register, you get a confirming email with a password to allow you to log in the first time. Then you can change the password to suit yourself.

Registering will not eliminate the bozos of the world from participating. It may keep the "ONE HIT WONDERS" from happening.

Interestingly enough there appear to be a lot of 'guests' posting in this thread.

In reality though, there are only 4 people 'being the guests'. 3 of those people are members (including Casey himself... ) and the other seems to be a guru (probably a member too) who is currently traveling through a foreign land...

From experience, a 'guest' who causes problems is generally a 'disgruntled member'. The typical guest poster though, is a visitor who either just found us or one who will come by every 6 months or so and ask a question.

To the 'every 6 month-er' the forum is a resource and he/she knows where to go when he/she needs a plc answer. They have no interest in being a part of the community... just getting an answer. That's ok, because now the question/answer is in the database for someone else to find and benefit from someday.

If it ever becomes a headache with guests posting bad things I still wouldn't see how requiring registration would help. Like someone previously said, [email protected] would work well for registration. Now they are a 'registered headache'. No difference to me versus a 'guest headache'. They're still a headache.

The only solution to ensuring all posts are not 'headaches' is to approve each one before posting it. Rest assured I have no intentions of doing that in the immediate future... and I doubt the community would want that anyway.

This is a professional forum with some of the best plc people in the world. It's rare to have a problem... but it happens. As long as problems are few I don't see a need to create a hurdle to knowledge.

And again... from experience, the 'troublemaker guest' is the 'disgruntled member'. I would bet money they would re-register under a different account and cause the same trouble...

Enjoy,

In reality though, there are only 4 people 'being the guests'. 3 of those people are members (including Casey himself... )

Casey?