Siemens HMI software & comms method

I hear you - but by the same token you might say that an RSLogix 5 license is obsolete - and even more so, being as it was superseded much longer ago - but this place I'm going to still has plenty of PLC5's kicking on.

We do quite a bit of work at this place, this is just the first time we've had to delve into one of their Siemens systems. They have quite a few Step 7 and WinCC Flexible controllers there too - and a lot of it controls quite high-end motion stuff, I don't think they'd be willing to spend the money on upgrading it all to TIA. Especially not when Siemens is not my preferred language!

I will ask about renting a license though - I wasn't aware you could do that!

It sounded like you had one single application :), I understand you not wanting to do that if you have more machines running with WinCC Flex.

Yeah, you can get temporary licenses from Siemens, at least for the newer stuff.
Alternatively you could see if any local companies would rent you the license when you need it.

I hear you - but by the same token you might say that an RSLogix 5 license is obsolete - and even more so, being as it was superseded much longer ago - but this place I'm going to still has plenty of PLC5's kicking on.

We do quite a bit of work at this place, this is just the first time we've had to delve into one of their Siemens systems. They have quite a few Step 7 and WinCC Flexible controllers there too - and a lot of it controls quite high-end motion stuff, I don't think they'd be willing to spend the money on upgrading it all to TIA. Especially not when Siemens is not my preferred language!

I will ask about renting a license though - I wasn't aware you could do that!
High end motion stuff??
They may be using Simotion_C , controller based motion which means you may need additional software (Scout) for the motion stuff.
As far as upgrading all to TIA, you will need at least V13 SP1 in order to use Simotion Scout v4.4 (this is the first version of Scout that works as part of the tIA package, integrated to the project).
Do they use Sinamics drives or older Masterdrives?

The motion is all controlled by a separate (non-siemens) controller and servos, which I've never played with. The Siemens gear talks to the motion controller via Profibus.