Siemens S7/TIA v16: Anyone know what TeleService is?...

Mas01

Excuse my ignorance. I've only worked on Mitsubishi Q-series PLC's, now I'm working on S7 for first time with no training.

I'm trying to set up my first S7 project.
I want to detect the hardware, but I don't know what TeleService is. My plc is connected directly to the PLC with some ethernet cable, nothing else.

Do I need the first option "PN/IE"? Is this for an ethernet connection? Thanks in advance.

IMG_20230613_160204.jpg

PN/IE is the driver you need to use.
Set up the IP & subnet to match the CPU and you should be good to go.

Thanks for this. However, when I do a search, the IP address does not appear in the Address column...what I get is a string of letters and numbers (see picture)...

IMG_20230613_162233.jpg

Hmm...I clicked on Detect and this time I get an IP address. Not sure what happened but I think it's ok? The "flash" test button's working too.... so I think we're all good (so far).

IMG_20230613_163745.jpg

The string of numbers is the actual MAC address of the device which is unique hardware ID.
If your flasher detects the CPU then you are online with the selected device (The one that also flashes it's LED's during this test).

I want to detect the hardware, but I don't know what TeleService is.

People covered the rest of your post, I think, and it looks like you're connected, but I wanted to circle back to a part that I think was skipped.

Teleservice is a remote connectivity mechanism, often used for RTU type setups. In the before times, when cell modems and VPNs were relatively simple/available/cheap, you made the best of it over telephone lines or other technologies, with special protocols.

I hardly ever see it now, odds are you won't ever need it unless someone specifically tells you that you do.

People covered the rest of your post, I think, and it looks like you're connected, but I wanted to circle back to a part that I think was skipped.

Teleservice is a remote connectivity mechanism, often used for RTU type setups. In the before times, when cell modems and VPNs were relatively simple/available/cheap, you made the best of it over telephone lines or other technologies, with special protocols.

I hardly ever see it now, odds are you won't ever need it unless someone specifically tells you that you do.
That's good to know. Many thanks, mk42.