Siemens Step 7 download?

ProDave

I have been using Step 7 on my PC for years. Now I want to transfer it to another computer.

I find I have lost my original install disks that I used years ago. I still have the driver disks for my MPI card.

I seem to recall you could download Step 7 from the Siemens website, but I can never find anything I want there.

So does anybody have a link to where I can download step 7 please

I don't know the link, maybe a search on the site may come up with something.

BUT importantly, do you have the key disk?

EDIT: You would also have to ensure you download the correct vesrion for the key disk as well.

The version I have used for years (no doubt updated by now)was V5.0 + service pack 3 Revision K5.0.3.0

This is still installed and working on my present PC, but as I say I am wanting to move it to a new PC.

As for the key disk. That's in the same safe place as the installation disks (i.e lost)

But it was (is?) a well known fact that this version will run quite hapily without authorisation. You just get that little annoying "searching for authorisation" box pop up, but when it fails to find authorisation, it continues to work anyway. So in spite of having a valid key disk we never bothered with the hastle of moving the authorisation from one PC to another, we just work without it.

So ideally I would like to download the same version with this same bug :)

You can't download Step 7. I would suggest the following:

1. Purchase the upgrade (you can go from any version to latest) and it costs about 20% of the full price.

2. The the new version will allow you to upgrade your key and move it via USB stick or even the floppy key they provide.

You can get replacement key disk from Siemens...but I think you need certificate?

Nick

how old is your version?
to transfer from one to another computer, you just need to install software on both of them then network the two computers...

If you have lost all of the original package, CD + keydisk + certificate, but there is still a valid license on the PC, then you can purchase an upgrade. The license on the PC will then be converted and you can move it to the keydisk or a USB stick.
(This is slightly over the thin white line, because you dont own the software if you dont have the license certificate from the previous software that got upgraded. But you sound legitimate to me).

If you have lost all of the original package, and there isn't a valid license on the PC, then you have to buy a complete new package.

JesperMP said:
If you have lost all of the original package, CD + keydisk + certificate, but there is still a valid license on the PC, then you can purchase an upgrade. The license on the PC will then be converted and you can move it to the keydisk or a USB stick.
(This is slightly over the thin white line, because you dont own the software if you dont have the license certificate from the previous software that got upgraded. But you sound legitimate to me).

If you have lost all of the original package, and there isn't a valid license on the PC, then you have to buy a complete new package.

If you haven't given sold or othwerwise transfered the software to a third party then you still "own" the right to use it - certificates - diskettes mean nothing with respect to legal "ownership"

10baseT said:
If you haven't given sold or othwerwise transfered the software to a third party then you still "own" the right to use it - certificates - diskettes mean nothing with respect to legal "ownership"
I may have phrased it wrongly. What I mean is that you cannot prove that you own the software without the certificate (having purchased it proves nothing). The certificate is the critical part.
In practical terms, if you ask Siemens to help you with a lost keydisk for example, then they will ask for the license number. If you name or adress is different to what that license was originally sold to they will ask you to provide proof of ownership. And that can only be the original certificate.

It's not as simple as that guys. Strictly I don't "own" the software, I have never paid for it.

I got it as a job lot of stuff I was given from a company having a clear out. I got the MPI card and it's drivers, a selection of S7300 PLC's and modules (all with their drivers) and step7 basic, with a licence and key disk.

Of course the licence is not in my name. But as it was all original software, and not pirated, I have no concience about using it.

All this means however that I can't go begging to Siemens for help.

Is any kind sole willing to lend me a copy so I can install it on my new PC.

As I say the copy installed on this PC is running just fine, but intil (if) I find my lost disks, I can't transfer it to the new PC.