Simatic CP343-1IT webserver problems

Hi Jean Pierre,
I have set the hardware up using S7.
In the netpro (and in the hardware) window I select the cp343-1 It unit and select properties.
The properties page comes up and a selection of tabs appear across the top.
In the Help files it states that a Cp unit can only be reached by its mac address if an IP address isnt assigned.

I select the addressing tab and the addressing interface opens with browse, assign address, etc. The assign address button is ghosted. When I select browse the network a DLC error box appears and the assign address button still remains ghosted.

Even though the cp unit says its address is 140.80.0.1 I cannot ping it from the laptop using a msdos window and a crossover Ethernet cable plugged in the cp unit and the laptop. This means the cp unit is not accessable or I/m not pinging the right address (may be not assigned). Pinging the unit direct bypasses browser issues because if the ping returned results I could then look at any browser issues.

How do you assign a IP address to the cp unit without using the assign address button ?

Its my last day tomorrow so if I dont sort it, I wont have a another chance to resolve the issue.

Jenem

Last edited:
How do you assign a IP address to the cp unit without using the assign address button ?
Fairly simple. Doubleclick in the Simatic Manager on Hardware.
In the hardware configuration doubleclick on the CP343 to see its properties. In the general tab click on Properties and you'll get the view I've attached. Fill in the fields as required and voila! Just make sure the subnet mask is correct so you'll be able to reach the CP.

Kind regards,

properties_cp.gif

Jenem

I am going to have a stab in the dark at your little problem.

Reading what you have posted to date, it seems as though the CP is configured correctly, it has an IP address and subnet mask.

The question remains, is your laptop setup correctly?

Have you specified an IP address and subnet mask in the same range as the CP? Or have you left the 'obtain an IP address automatically' option checked?

To ping the IP address of the CP, the laptop will have to be on the same subnet mask (unless you go through a router or proxy server and the like)

I also think (I might be wrong on this) that to connect to the CP via Internet Explorer, IE will have to be setup to connect via a LAN connection, not a dial up one.

This might help you out. :confused:

Paul

Hi Jean Pierre
Thank you for that picture. Yes I set it up exactly like that ( I wish I could attach pictures!.

Paul,
Thank you for replying.

"Have you specified an IP address and subnet mask in the same range as the CP? Or have you left the 'obtain an IP address automatically' option checked?

To ping the IP address of the CP, the laptop will have to be on the same subnet mask (unless you go through a router or proxy server and the like)"

I think I set obtain IP address automatically.

What do you mean about setting up the laptop on the same subnet ?

I have been trying to understand about subnetting and I havnt a clue.

The laptop is set up to use a lan connection and dosent have a proxy server set up.

Jenem

Last edited:
jenem-
I'm going to strip this down as much as I can so you can get going with this. You should read up some on subnet masking and how it affects your IP address range when you get a chance.
You posted that your CP IP address is 140.80.0.1. I think you probably have an subnet mask in you CP of 255.255.0.0. The easiest thing for me to tell you is to make the subnet mask in your laptop match the subnet mask in the CP. Then set the IP address in you laptop to one greater than the IP address in your CP. So your computer IP would be 140.80.0.2.
You change your IP address under network settings in control panel. Depending on your OS there might be shorcuts to this. You need to change the properties of your Internet Protocol. You will have two selection choices:
Obtain IP adress automatically
or
Use the following IP address.
Select Use the following IP address. Then in the IP address field enter the desired address. In the sbnet mask field enter the subnet mask from the CP. Then click OK. Reboot if the OS tells you to. From here you can try and ping and see what you get.

Good luck.
Keith

Hi Keith,
Thank you for your advice. I am at this very moment printing off some info on subnetting.

Have I got this right ?
Because my laptop is on a direct connection with the cp unit it has to have a ip address 1 greater than the base ip address 104.80.0.1, so if I was commnicatiing over an internet connection a router would automaticlly set up the connection between the laptop and the Cp module.
Each device connection on the Ethernet cable has to have a value in the range of the IP submask(s)?

jenem

Ps Stupid question do i have to assign the laptop as "other device on" the network layout in Netpro

Last edited:
jenem-
Like I said, I stripped that last post down to what you needed to do as opposed to telling you why. So I told you to do something that I had a high level of confidence that it would work. It's not necessarily the only setup that will work.
As a basis, if you have two Ethernet devices on the same network without a router (such as two devices connected directly together) and you are talking using TCP/IP, both devices have to have the same subnet mask. Also, the network address portion of the IP address (all IP address bits that line up with set subnet mask bits) have to be the same for both.
So, no, the laptop IP address does not HAVE TO be 1 higher than the CP address. However, if it is, I know it will work.
When you get the info on subnet masking stuff will start to make more sense.
If you were connected to a router, it would not necessarily set up anything for you. In your case you may not want to do that even if you could. I have always found it easier to use static IP addresses when I can. Then you know where everything is.
You don't need to include the laptop in the NetPro network layout. I think you only need to do that if you want the CP to initiate communication to the laptop (as opposed to simply responding to queries).

Keith

Thanks Keith, for taking the time to reply, and to all others who have tried to help ! (Jean Pierre, Paul)

I will be trying it out tomorrow and I will post the results.
Thanks

jenem

Hurrah :) :)

Hi
Just an update !

Today I communicated with the inbuilt server on the CP343-1 IT from my laptop. I then went to the IT department and asked them to set the ip address of host computer with the siemens Simatic manager on it, to 140.80.0.3 submask 255,255. I can now access the CP unit with Internet Browser.

Thanks for all the help and comments

I wish Siemens were as quick to answer my questions when I emailed their technical department

Jenem

firmware

Does anybody know if some firmwares are available for the CP243 IT card ?