SIMATIC PG720 Hard disk replacement

Hi everyone!

What is the highest possible size of a hard disk that the programmer PG 720 can recognized(and work with) without changes. At the moment the size of the hard disk is 1.44GB(DMCA-21440).

:)

I have no specifik knowledge to how big a HD the pg720 can handle. Also, the PG720 comes (came) in many versions over the years, so there may be variations to the limits.

But here is quick thing you can try:
Access the PC BIOS when powering up the PG720. There could be several modes that the HD controller can be set to work.
There could be a help text or hint for each mode (LBA mode for example is for >2GB ... I think) telling what the limit is.

If the PG720 is very old could have DOS (max 512MB ... I think), or Win 95 with FAT16 (max 2GB ... I think).
An upgrade to the OS could enable some larger drives, if the CPU is not too slow.

Bear over with that I dont remember the exact limits, I dont have my old notes right where I am now. :oops:

I question why you want a larger hard drive. Yes, 1.44GB is tiny by today's standards, but after all, the PG was meant to only be a programmer, so 1.44GB should be more than enough.

That said, I would just pop it open and see what kind of hard drive is in it. I doubt Siemens would use a propreitary drive, so it's probably an 'off-the-shelf' brand. Once you know what's in there, you can investigate your options.

Now, don't be coming back with questions about how to replace the floppy with a DVD drive!... :D

beerchug

-Eric

In the website of Siemens Tech. Support, there are some BIOS, Firmware upgrade program, I know there are some progams for PG740, maybe you can find if there are some fit your PG720