SLC 500 to contrologix data transfer

Skiroy

I building a Lab in my house to better myself. Im building a control logix system but was given a old SLC 500 with a SLC 5/05 proccessor. I would like to in corporate in my lab a set up that would allow me to monitor input data from a remote PLC via ethernet or wireless.

My question is can I monitor input data from a SLC 500(RSlogix 500) system with a Control Logix( RS logix 5000) system? And what are the considerations as far as additional hardware or software?

I have RS logix 5000 v20

You will also need the RSLogix500 programming software if you need to make any changes in the SLC (I'm assuming it has no program in it if you were given it).

The SLC will need a program downloading to it that contains the IO modules that you have in the chassis. The SLC is fussy, it must be able to see the configured modules exactly, otherwise it will Major Fault.

Reading and writing to SLC data-tables is easy. The Logix5000 MSG instructions have "SLC Data-Table Read" and "SLC Data-Table Write" configurations which you can choose and set up.

Last edited:
If you don't have Logix 500 there is a logix500 active-X tool called Ladder500 that comes with RSLinx. It can view/download an existing program, but you cannot create a program with it.

If you provide the exact IO configuration someone on the forum can create a dummy program that has the IO configuration and an empty program consisting of just ladder 2. This can be downloaded to the SLC using Ladder 500. Since its an active-x component you'll need an active-x container. An HMI such as RSView will work, but even Excel will serve as an active-x container. The PLC program won't do anything, but the ControlLogix can perform message reads and message writes to the SLC IO image file and processor status file. Since the PLC is not running a program that writes to the output image table you can turn on/off outputs with the ControlLogix.

Last edited: