slc 504

mosbih

Hi everyone
I am new to AB and RSlogix and I would need some help. I do have a lots of experiance in DL plcs. Here is my problem. I have a slc 504 installed by a third party long time ago. They had never finished the system completely beffore they went bankrupt. I have purchased RS logix 500 and so far I tryed to connect to RS232 port with my laptop and a belkin serial to usb convertor. This plc is connected to an AIC and from that to a touch screen. I do not know how is that port that I am using configured. I used Rslinx to configure the driver but I could never establish connection. Any sugestions are much appreciated.
Thanks

Do you have the offline file for the SLC ( *.rss FILE). If so then under channel configuation you can see how the serial port is configued.
DF1 or DH485. If you have the offline file zip it and post here someone can take a look.
What is the complete part no. of your touch screen. From this we might be able to tell its comm protocol.
The AIC is it the 1761-NET-AIC+ or 1747-AIC?

Last edited:
The serial port could actually be configured as a PIC because of the touchscreen. If that is the case then in Linx configure a PIC and then use the serial cable anyway.

Option 2 that I have done in the past is to try every configuration for the serial cable until I stumbled across the right config. It didn't actually take that long as there aren't that many options.

Did you go stright to the PLC or to the AIC module?

Slc 504

Thanks for your quick replay

the AIC module is 1761-NET-AIC. Tha panel is UniOP ER-25T-0045. I was connected straight to PLC. Basicaly I have disconnected the AIC and connect my cable straight to PLC RS232 port. I do not have any files for this plc. One other thing that I noticed is that the light for RS232 port is solid on before I disconnect the panel and then it flashes in intervalv of about 2-3 seconds kind of like serching the network.
Thanks

I'm not familar with your HMI. SO no help there to determine the port protocol. In RSLinx did you use the DF1 driver and try to autoconfigure. This may or maynot work with you USB to serial adapter ( some do some don't). If that does not work the default setting are shown in picture attached. Also if connected from PC to SLC you must use a null modem cable.
DefaultSettings.jpg

If the protocol is DH485 the PIC driver will not work unless the PC has a real serial port.

Last edited:
in your config what com port and baud did you use did you use.most of the time if you select the correct com port and driver all you should have to do is do a auto config.I can send you the settings that I use on all of my 504s shortly.

Last edited:
and a belkin serial to usb convertor.

in most cases the cable needs to be a “null modem” or “crossover” type cable ... have you checked that? ...

I noticed that the light for RS232 port is solid on before I disconnect the panel and then it flashes in interval of about 2-3 seconds kind of like searching the network.

that USUALLY indicates a DH485 configuration ... try using a “null modem” cable and the PIC driver ... the PIC driver “speaks” DH485 even when you physically connect it to an RS232 port ...

Thanks again
I have configured driver DF1 RS232 and tryed most of combinations but no luck. What is the null modem cable? The auto config did not work. At this point I am getting that 1747 UIC to try to connect that way and then reconfigure the port. I have also found one guy that used to work for this company that installed the system and he is trying to get me a copy of the program. Even if I get in the plc without the program I won't be able to see any documentation.

sorry folks, it looks like I goofed in my earlier post ...

I recommended trying the PIC driver (software) to make a DH-485 connection ... somehow I missed the (obvious) fact that the original poster was trying to connect through a USB adapter - and NOT through an actual "built-in" serial port ...

after some experimenting last night I'm 99.9% convinced that the PIC driver will NOT work with a USB adapter ... actually I already knew that the PIC device (hardware) wouldn't work - but it looks like ANYTHING (hardware or software) which is associated with a USB adapter won't work ... I never had considered the software glitch before ...

anyway ... the UIC adapter is the way to go ...

and thanks to my distinguished colleague TWControls for the behind-the-scenes correction ... sorry for any confusion this has caused ...

from bradal:

Wouldn't you want to use the standared CP3 cable for connecting???

yes ... as Marc said, the CP3 is a null-modem type cable ... the reason that we specifically mentioned "null-modem" is that it's not uncommon for someone to run down to their nearest Office Depot or Radio Shack and pick up a "serial port" cable ... and VERY often the cable that they pick up is a "straight through" or simple "extension" type cable ... in other words, the wires do NOT criss-cross the same way a null-modem cable's wires do ...

of course that type of cable won't work for communicating with the SLC ... but ... in most cases it WILL communicate with an "RS-232" type PanelView ...

we just weren't sure which type of cable the original poster had on hand ...