SLC5/03 to Bar Code Scanner

Lancie is correct. The scanners i used add the cr lf out of the box. Maybe yours doesn't. Check it on a PC by scanning some labels into word or excel.

Hmm... now I hate to ask you this but would pages 2-17 (53) and 2-18 (54), have something to do with this according to this manual: http://www.honeywellaidc.com/CatalogDocuments/Xenon-UG%20Rev%20E.pdf? From what I see I may need to scan the special code windows mode control & ASCII mode on, or perhaps control character output on. That may be the reason why it's not working, will have to try that when I can today.

Check it on a PC by scanning some labels into word or excel.

This is something I wish I could make work, but I have never been able to to connect my scanner to my PC using the RS232 configuration. Now I was trying to connect it with software supplied by the supplier, but is there any other software I could use to test?

Last edited:
Yes, your manual says that the default mode is "Control + ASCII Mode Off". You probably should change it to "Windows Mode Control + ASCII Mode On". Your PLC ARL instruction is looking for the ASCII end-of-line characters (0D0A I think). You have to use whatever Honeywell Xenon Scanner mode will insert those characters at the end of each bar code.

I see that on page 2-2, there is a scan code to set your scanner for "RS232 Serial Port". It has the required ASCII carriage return (OD) and Line Feed (0A) characters. The only problem is that it also sets the baud rate to 115,200 bps. I think you need about 9600.

It appears that you may have to scan-and-save several different codes from the manual to get your scanner set up the way you want. An alternative method is listed on page 10-3, for how to use a EZConfig downloadable software program to more easily set up your Honeywell scanner.

Last edited:
I do know I think it's page 2-20, that you can manually change the baud rate there. So scanning the one code to change it to 9600 (what's in PLC right now) should make it work fine.

Looking at your manual i believe its related more to the second part of Lancie's reply than the first. Earlier in the manual it says that if you are using a wireless scanner w/base when you plug it up and power up the PC the base programs it for RS232, but if you have a direct cable to PC you have to enable RS232 by the barcode. (forgot the pg#) then change baud to 9600.

Now I was trying to connect it with software supplied by the supplier, but is there any other software I could use to test?
Yes, there are (or used to be) Comm monitoring software that would show the traffic on the computer comm ports. Comm Lite was one such program.

Don't you wish for just one time to be able to buy a device that only does the one thing that you need, instead of doing everything for everybody (with the proper settings)?

Last edited: