SLC5/05 tags in Panelview Plus 7

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
I know I should know the answer to this but it's been a while. I am working on a project that has a SLC5/05 and several Remote I/O panels. I have the RSLogix500 project to work with but no direct connection to the processor. I am ready to start assigning tags and was wondering if HMI tags was my only option. I am so accustomed to browsing for tags in Studio 5000. I know I have used HMI tags in the past with SLC based systems but is there another option? Thanks

You can use direct references with any SLC when programming an HMI with Factory Talk View Studio, but there are some drawbacks. I always use HMI tags...they're required for alarms, and give you one place to adjust things like scaling and allow you to have one place to make changes to the PLC address reference if you end up needing to change something.

You don't have to have HMI tags. However, I prefer to use them as relays especially when dealing with both 500 and 5000 platforms regularly. I find it easier switching from one platform to another by editing the tag database using notepad++ and importing them. This way, edits are centralized.

For example, by using a text editor, bulk replace "::[mlx]B60:2/" with "[clx]Button.Acknowledge."

Plus, there is also a way to test your application using the 500 Emulate program. It works well especially when you have no hardware.

https://theautomationblog.com/view-studio-using-rslinx-classic-and-rsemulate/

You can use Direct References to SLC/PLC data table addresses, just like you can use Direct References to ControlLogix tags.

The drawback is that you can't browse them from an *.RSS or *.RSP file, like you can if you point the Shortcut to the Offline *.ACD file.

You can browse them online from the controller, or type them in manually. Usually I go for manual typing when I'm using SLC/PLC/MicroLogix addresses in a FTView ME application.