SLC505 Cable Help

Mark Buskell

RSLinx Ver 2.42

I have configured 505's in the past with no problem.
The cable I have is a generic 232 cable with a null modem adapeter. It works fine connecting to Channel 0 on a 504 between my laptop or desktop computer.

The SLC processor is a 1747-L551 Series C.

I have tried auto-configuring and also using the manual settings
thru RS-Linx.

The 505 just does not seem to work. I have also reset the 505 its default settings by jumpering out the VBB and GND connectors.

Could I be missing something?

I will order another 505 tomorrow along with a CP3 cable just in case it is a bad processor. P.S. I have a CP3 cable somewhere but I will be darn if I can find it. I think the cable fairies took it.

Not directly yet, I thought you had to set up the Ethernet port thru 232 first to be able to set up the ethernet port.

If not, do you have a link on how to configure the etherenet port directly.

Make sure that no other driver is also trying to use the COM port such as the notorius DH485-PIC driver which is often loaded as a service at startup.

The SLC505 default is to obtain the IP address from a BootP server. RSLinx comes with a BootP server utility. If you use the BootP server utility and make a direct connection from your laptop to the SLC (use a crossover cable) you should be able to go online through the ethernet port first.

Update:

I ordered a replacement processor. I plugged it in and everything works great. It took me all of 3 minutes to download and get ethernet connections going. I guess the old processor has some major problems on its board.