Slightly OT: Drum Switch Lubricant

elevmike said:
Paula, are you using synthetic belts or leather? I know where to get them but I think I might want to upgrade for better traction.

On my lathe, the drive between the motor and the large countershaft pulley is a standard V-belt. For the flat belt that drives the spindle, I'm planning to use leather. There are synthetic substitutes available, of various types. Leather works quite well on a small, vintage lathe like this, and it's what was originally used, so that's the way I'm going. The ends of the belt will need to be scarf-jointed and glued.

If you do wind up with leather, remember that the smooth side goes against the pulley.

Paula

Hey I've got one of those lathes too, my belt broke a week ago and it sounds interesting to upgrade my belting,where do you get the synthetic instead of leather belts. I havent had any luck finding a belt, thanks..

Hotrod,

Almost any industrial bearing or mechanical drive supplier carries belting. You might also get it from South Bend. Theres a South Bend website somwhere...

Mike is correct, almost any power transmission house can make up a belt to the length you need. Here's one I've heard good things about:

Baltimore Belting Co.

McMaster-Carr also sells various types of flat belt stock.

You can get a "Texalon" belt from South Bend (now owned by LeBlond), but for mucho $$$. Their number is (888) 532-5663

Regards,
Paula

Last edited: