Slow internet connection slows down Windows.

Open up Task Manager>Processes and look at the CPU resources that are being used. Sometimes the available memory really doesn't mean a lot. If there is one app that is running constantly at 40% or more, then I think there is a problem. I'd also look at each process and see if one looks out of place.

Edit: Never mind. It looks like you already looked at the processes. In that case, go to Administrative Tools and look at the services that are running. Maybe something there is causing problems.

Last edited:
Personally, I think dial up is just slow. IF at anytime you deal with high speed then dialup is VERY NOTICEABLE.

I would not worry too much about the prograns involved.

Terry Woods:
Obviously you see a difference between "at home" and "on the road". If you see the same issue with the same PC then...
Rsdoran:
Personally, I think dial up is just slow. IF at anytime you deal with high speed then dialup is VERY NOTICEABLE.
Obviously, the internet connection is slow. The problem is that everything becomes slow. Everything that has to do with opening programs or files, things that has nothing to do with the internet. And it does not depend on the amount on traffic, if there is zero traffic (which I can see on the connection statistics), there are still these irritating delays.

Maybe it is the virus checker that becomes really aggresive when the internet connection is on.
But the strange thing is that when I check programs and services in the task manager, it just reports 97% for System Idle Process.
The virus checker does not use any system time.
And I can also not turn off the virus checker. This has been blocked by our IT department (pesky bas...ds).

I think that whenever a file operation is activated, the system wants to do something on the net, reporting, checking, or whatever, and after sometime it decides it dont want to wait for that anylonger (timeout) and continues.

IT department? Is the laptop normally connected to a network? When you open a file, XP is looking for the network drive.
If you are the Administrator, create another User Profile that doesn't use the network. Ask your IT department for help with this, if needed.