Somewhat OT-Solenoid Valves

Outside always. We try to get the solenoid valves as close to the pneumatic device as possible. Cuts down on pressure losses and pneumatic delays. Actually I'm pretty sure our customer base specifies penumatic components are not to be in the panel.

jstolaruk said:
Outside always. We try to get the solenoid valves as close to the pneumatic device as possible. Cuts down on pressure losses and pneumatic delays. Actually I'm pretty sure our customer base specifies penumatic components are not to be in the panel.
And less length to find that annoying pin hole size leako_O

jstolaruk said:
But use a little common sense on putting them as close to the pneumatic device.

We have an oven that has walking chains to move the parts across it. It is not a very hot oven, 140 F, but still. The manufacturer ran a main air trunk line through the oven to the air cylinders that raise the walking chains and put the solenoids right by the air cylinders.

Not only are the solenoids in a 140 F oven, but you have to craw on your back to get to them, then after working about five minutes on them you can no longer see for the sweat running in your eyes and are about to pass out from the temperature.

And yes, we turn the oven off but it doesn't cool down very quickly

Outside always

Ok, but this brings up another question. If you mount the solenoid block on the outside and you use the type of manifold that has a D- sub connector is there a way to keep it waterproof?

I really don't like the sub d connector. I prefer terminals inside the manifold and conduit. It takes longer to wire but is more durable. But we have to build everything like a Sherman Tank here to survive. I don't know what your environment is like there.

rta53 said:
Ok, but this brings up another question. If you mount the solenoid block on the outside and you use the type of manifold that has a D- sub connector is there a way to keep it waterproof?

D-sub connector? Never in an industrial environment on anything; it'll last about 3 minutes.

rta53 said:
Another question. Do you generally mount your solenoids on the outside or inside of the control panel? From an electrical standpoint I would prefer to mount them on the inside. But then you have to deal with getting the air lines to the solenoids inside. I have used bulkhead type fittings for this but I don't really care for them either. In my application I have to be concerned about water (we build water purification systems) so any electrical components on the outside have to be protected. So if mounting the solenoids on the inside of the panel what method do you use to get your tubing to the solenoids? We would typically use 1/8" tubing.

And, yes I do understand what you mean about being able to easily remove the solenoid from the manifold.:)

I work in a poultry processing plant, which means that EVERYHTING has to be waterproofed so that sanatation can clean the plant with water and other chemicals and nothing get damaged. Many of our solenoids are waterproof. Few of them are actually mounted inside of the control panels, typically the manifold and all are mounted on the machine in a location that doesnt get very wet. Perhapse if you could mount the solenoids inside of the machine, covered by guards it would work, or perhapse even consider using a small waterproofed box (small electrical boxes work good for this) that is mounted in a more convienent location for your technicians to be able to service and connect air lines to. I'm not sure what valve or solenoid manufacturer we use offhand, but I know that many of our air fittings are polyflow type. We havent had a huge amount of problems with watwr getting into the air system from outsie (theres a bit of moisture that gets in through the main compressors), and our solenoids hold up to the high amounts of humidity very well. I haven't seen us have to replace them very often at all.

Just thought I'd put my input in...