Starter puzzle

Guys,

This type of motor starter was very common (I did a quick edit here, how time passes! make that) 40 years ago. Also there were many part-winding, two speed, 2-winding, Y-Delta motor circuits and starters, wound-rotor motors, eddy-current clutches, and even AC motors shaft-coupled to a DC generator, which in turn powered a DC motor, all for some type of speed or torque control! The reason some of you have never seen this circuit can be summed up in 3 letters: V.F.D. The variable-speed and variable-torque motor drives really made motor control a LOT easier, and made circuits like this one kind of obsolete. In 10 more years there will be no one who even recognizes what it was.

As for building-your-own, that used to be pretty common too. In the old days, off-the-shelf equipment was not readily available on short notice. This was before the days of nationwide UPS and FedX delivery service. It used to take 5 to 6 weeks to get something like a two-speed motor starter delivered from the factory. The process was long and slow. First you wrote out a purchase order and had your typist type it up on a manual typewriter. Then you checked it over for errors and mailed (by snail mail, Email was not invented yet) it off to the supplier. He gets your letter, writes out an order receipt, sends the order to the factory, and sends you a letter back telling in how many weeks you can expect shipment. Many times you just had to make do with what your local distributor had in stock or could get from the next town.

Last edited:
Looks like you are reversing acording to the drawing. Though like stated for a pump situation I have seen alot of part start winding motors usuall for larger horsepower. I have never seen reversing on a pump situation. Plus if it reversing I would allways use contactors with mechanical interlock, as well as aux contacts for electrical interlock

I couldn't read the hand drawn Schem very well - but could this be a delta/wye start/run thing?

As usual I'll probably be wrong - AGAIN!!

Rod (The CNC dude)

ok

google this may help you understand part winding starters better.
8640sd.jpg

8641sd.jpg

When hard wired they depend on the O.L. to trip if for some reason the second starter doesn`t come in. In your plc program
it wouldn`t hurt to add some logix to where if for any reason if
both were not in at anytime after 3 seconds max both should drop out.
Thanks PHIL for this enteresting place to learn! (y)đź“š

Lancie,

Without seeing the motor specs I think you are right....Looks like a 6 wire 2 speed setup.

I installed one similar on a cooling tower fan but it was a little more complicated. Actually had to get a 5 leg starter to complete the wiring change needed to run at the different speeds.

Some investigation into the motor winding configuration of this pump will probably solve the great mystery of what this starter is actually doing.

Dave

The drawing left out too much info. As drawn it shows a reversing motor type connection. Most people maintain phasing, no crossing of phases on contactor/overload, with part winding or delta wiring.

The 8536 is a common Square D contatctor/starter but is not usually used in a part winding or wye/delta system.

Part winding or wye delta usually incorporate a timer, as mentioned, the drawing does not show nor was it stipulated one was used.

The configuration is "almost" standard but it seems to me this was a roll your own thing. I do believe now that it is probably part winding but without seeing the cabinet I wouldnt make any bets.