Storage of production code

ystv

Hi,

Wanted some opinion about storing production code for projects. What is a proper strategy for it? For example if you use Studio 5000, a specific directory in the documents is used to save the projects. What extra steps should someone take to ensure that the code is always available. Is there any standard practice/regulation for it?

Hi,

Wanted some opinion about storing production code for projects. What is a proper strategy for it? For example if you use Studio 5000, a specific directory in the documents is used to save the projects. What extra steps should someone take to ensure that the code is always available. Is there any standard practice/regulation for it?

Hi, most of the places I've worked--OEM's, suppliers, integrators have a "drive" (R:\, M:\) that they require all software to be copied to and saved. Many places have limited access to these drives, or to certain folders, especially the OEM's.
I ALWAYS save a program or anything like that to my laptop, either on the desktop or a folder that I can access. And on a memory stick.
I realize most of the time one may upload say a 5000 program, but what if the processor crashed and one needs the latest and greatest? Hope this helps and BTW welcome to the forum!

Hello. While R: is a common practice, it is better to use some sort of Version Control System.

I have used in the past a software called Asset Guardian, which is developed by an offshoot of a Control Systems Integrator, so I find it is geared towards how we control people think.

At other times I have used git, a free distributed version control system. This works very well as you can clone the entire history to your laptop if you wish, and checkout old versions or commit new versions on your laptop when you have no internet connection. Each commit can be transferred back to the server when you have internet/VPN again. While git is free, I would recommend training/practice for everyone who wants to use it.

In all cases, the procedure must be understood and followed by everyone. I would rather have a windows share folder that everyone uses correctly, than some software that people don't use properly!

In addition to network drives, I've come across customers who want a thumb drive in the enclosure with the latest PLC/HMI programs on it. This is usually for smaller customers with more lax security requirements.

Although you can usually see the date that it was last saved is changes were made I always save it with the original name and add the date after the name anytime I upload
a processor image of a currently running system especially if I have made modifications.

Using SVN with a tortoise plugin worked very simply. Run this on a standalone server on the network and then everyone has a login and installs tortoise SVN on their PC. simple enough to update and check-in/checkout etc. We used SCADA, Rockwell, Beckhoff, Omron and Mitsi source codes.

Easier than GIT or other SVn's

https://tortoisesvn.net/

https://tortoisesvn.net/

Last edited:
But was that made before, or after, 'Newester'?
Before. All forms of 'Newer' come before you start with derivations of 'Newest,' so the order goes New -> Newer -> Newerer -> Newerest -> Newest -> Newester -> Newestest