Sync AB 1500P HMI Clock to CompactLogix

ChrisWOvivo

Hi all,

Got an issue that has developed.

We have a AB 1500P HMI (Windows XP) and a CompactLogix processor.

The client is moving a register into the CompactLogix to sync the time on the system.

We need to sync the HMI to the CompactLogix somehow. I have looked all over but everything seems to be setting the PLC time based on the HMI clock and I need to do the reverse.

I need this to sync regulary (once a day preferably).

Any clues?

Cheers.

Hi there,

No problem...

HMI Part No. 6181P-15TPXP
HMI Software: FactoryTalk View SE Studio & Client V6.0 CPR9

PLC: CompactLogix L32E
PLC Software: RSLogix5000 V17.01.0 CPR9

Devices are connected via Ethernet.

Use logix5000 clock update tool from pc to sync pc and plc, then use remote clock from hmi to sync hmi and plc, this way all are synced.

Hi there,

What is the remote clock on the HMI?

The only clock bits I see in the HMI are the ones in the System folder in the tag viewer. These tags are Read Only so I am guessing that you are saying there is another clock that can be manipulated?

Hi there,

What is the remote clock on the HMI?

The only clock bits I see in the HMI are the ones in the System folder in the tag viewer. These tags are Read Only so I am guessing that you are saying there is another clock that can be manipulated?

Remote clock is a series of tag inside hmi that "sees" other clock, this time is PLC clock. At least they exist on the Panelview, and i guees is the same in your unit.

But where is it? In the tag editor?

When I open up the tag editor, the only folder thats got anything to do with system times is the SYSTEM folder. Inside there, there are the system tags i.e.

SYSTEM\Hour
SYSTEM\Minute
SYSTEM\Second

Is the remote clock somewhere else?

Gsv

You can utilize the GSV (Get System Variable) instruction to retrieve the time of the PLC and place it into a register (tag/tags) that you create. Once this is place you can create your own tags in the HMI that will read the tags in the PLC that has the time.

You can then use this time instead of the system time for whatever you need it for.

Hope that helps.

Thanks all,

@gscure - Doesn't the alarm banner rely on the internal system clock? So even if we GSV'd the date and time into the HMI and replaced all the clocks with the new data, the alarm system would always still rely on the actual system tag clock for time-stamping?

Yes, the time/date stamps in ordinary Alarming (not FTA&E) take their time from the FTView Server OS, not the controller.

As has been mentioned, this is almost always done the other way around, where the PLC's have their onboard clocks updated by the SCADA or HMI system, since the HMI relies on accurate time and date information more than the controller does, and because Windows has a reliable and extremely common network time feature.

In my experience, controller clocks are not very accurate (losing a couple of seconds per day in very hot environments) and are far more expensive to keep synchronized (with GPS or something similar) than PC clocks.

I'm sure you have reasons for wanting to sync to a controller clock. If you're willing, describe them a little.

As others have mentioned, use the Logix5000 CLock update tool. This is a utility that will run on the computer that will at a regular interval (configurable) synch the computer clock with one or multiple PLCs.

I know you said you wanted to go from the PLC to the PC, but this is the best way to perform this.

OG