Sync AB 1500P HMI Clock to CompactLogix

Thanks for the replies everybody!!

Yes, the time/date stamps in ordinary Alarming (not FTA&E) take their time from the FTView Server OS, not the controller.

As has been mentioned, this is almost always done the other way around, where the PLC's have their onboard clocks updated by the SCADA or HMI system, since the HMI relies on accurate time and date information more than the controller does, and because Windows has a reliable and extremely common network time feature.

In my experience, controller clocks are not very accurate (losing a couple of seconds per day in very hot environments) and are far more expensive to keep synchronized (with GPS or something similar) than PC clocks.

I'm sure you have reasons for wanting to sync to a controller clock. If you're willing, describe them a little.

Sure, don't mind explaining.

We have a client in the water sector who's existing site contains many PLC's. These PLC's are updated via the method of transferring a good time value via messaging at set intervals.

We are just supplying a package plant, so we need to work with what the client has given us. Just because we can't do this out the box, doesn't mean the client will be willing to change how they update time on the rest of their PLC's.

Its possible to do this at a drop of a hat in Siemens HMI's, just seems like Rockwell are behind with the times again. I have made an esupport submittal that includes our HMI and PLC Software code for them to review. Can't believe its in V6 of FTView and still the time tags are locked.

An isolated HMI with no way of connecting to the net for time updates, is a dumb terminal time wise so just seems silly that time sources aren't flexible. As above, its even possible in FTView Machine Edition HMI's.

I guess this would need some VB Code! :unsure: