Totally off topic....... puzzle

Ok, I've got an IQ of 10 because I saw the symbolism as soon as read "petals around the rose."

This is really no more complicated than finding the one-eyed jacks or suicide kings in a deck of cards.

Last edited:
About 20 seconds. I guess that confirms what my wife says about me.

Like the site developer said, it's an interesting test in how different people evaluate a given problem.

Keith

I got it right away also. But I rolled for a dozen times before I figured out that that was all there was to the problem, and nothing else was going to happen.

Ahhhh!!! o_O

I have got to be honest here, I was struggling to work this out until my wife asked me what I was doing, then in a flash it came to me as I explained the rules to her, I think she broke my pattern of thought (tunnel vision??) :geek:

Oh yeah, it took me about 10 rolls to work it out.

Paul

10 seconds after first roll. The first roll's correct answer was zero and I think that was a big clue. If it had come up non-zero it might have taken longer.

icky812 said:
Here are the only "hints" allowed.

The name is “Petals around the Rose”.

The name is significant.

The answer is always even.

The answer can be from 0 to 24.

Yes I got it also I am not a genious... 20 mins... but I will say the hints did help... However, I am stumped as to how you could get a possible 24... i think 20 is max or am I wrong? 4x5=20

It had taken Dr. Duke well over a year himself...

That's interesting, isn't it? Who's the jerk who let him agonize over it that long?

I think this is another example of where academic study only gets you so far, then it puts the blinders on you. The solution to this puzzle wasn't in some dusty text book. But, Dr. Duke must've been ASSUMING it was.

AK

By jove I think he's go it!

3 rolls, did not time it, miss counted on the 5th roll, so Tom, you are not by yourself in that respect. Fun and it is a matter of how simply you look at it, not how simple you are as a person. I think! LOL Fun!

There's a deafening silence about Ron Beaufort's triangles. I'm gonna print that and cut the shapes up.(lol)

Nice post.About 10 secs but then I missed 1 rose.

Boy, I visit every day but haven't posted for yonks.

Jon

well...I'm not ashamed to say it took 3 minutes of staring at the dice for me to 'see' the answer. Once it becomes obvious, you feel stupid for not seeing it sooner...or at least I did!

croakus said:
I got it in two rolls. I guess I'm some type of (idiot)savant...

Ron,
I think Ickey meant 0 to 20.

Mike

Oops. Caught me. Sorry 'bout that. 0-20 is correct. I can't do math (obviously).