Trouble Adding Modules to Compact Logix

mlynn129

Everyone,

I am having trouble finding additional module cards via RSLinx. The modules are not showing up on the backplane of the PLC as seen below in the screen shot.

I have used the EDS Hardware Installation Tool via RSLogix5000 and RSLogix to upload the EDS files with correct revision numbers.

You can see the cards I want to use in the RSLogix screen shot below. I found each one and entered in the correct card, series, and revision.

I feel like I am missing something simple here DISCLAIMER: I have a lot of hours programming MicroLogix1400 PLCs, but I am a complete newbie to the Compact Logix series.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
rslinx.jpg

rslogix.jpg

Someone can correct me and please do, but I believe you will only see Network devices and not local I/O modules. If you had modules added to the Ethernet section of the controller in logix5000, they would show up in Linx as well.

Seth,

I appreciate your reply, and trust me I need all the help I can get. I have another program that I am using on another compressor at a different location. I obviously didn't write the program on this one. But I can see the cards in RSLinx and it is not in the Ethernet section of the RSLogix5000. I don't have any issues with this one. As you can tell I am currently not connected to it.

ex.jpg
ex2.jpg

Hmmmmm...that is strange.
Have you tried with the Ethernet driver?
You are using the Ethernet/IP driver currently. It generally works ok as long as you are connected to the local plc network and generally won’t find any devices when connecting across a network with routers and managed switches.
I would try using the Ethernet driver just for kicks and giggles and see what you get.
You will need to add the driver and then add the ip addresses of the two PLCs you have shown in the driver configuration.

After doing some more research I keep seeing the term "bus terminator" 1769-ECR. I'm not sure what that is or what it does. I know I dont have it installed. I assume it gives the backplane a stopping point? And without it the PLC will not recognize the backplane?

Ooooh yeah!! That is installed on the very right hand side of the plc or rack. Definitely need that lol. I always forget about that little guy.

The ECR comes with the L23, not sure about the L33 series. May need to purchase separately.

Although, I believe you should have had a controller fault if it were missing.

Last edited: