Trouble Extracting New Firmware for AB PLC.

ryan11191

Hi,

I am having trouble getting the .dmk file extracted so that ControFlash will see the new firmware revision. I hit extract all files and it asks me where I want to view them and I have the files go to the ControlFlash folder. Unfortunately I can't get the .dmk file to show up. Am I missing something?

Here is one weird thing that I ran into with those DMK's. I used the direct download with Chorme, Chrome zipped it for some reason, it flat out would not work. Unzipping it, changing the file extension, etc. I had to use the managed download or use IE.

Hey guys, just resuscitating this old post but I cannot find any additional info about fixing this firmware issue. I tried using different browsers to download the firmware files but they are downloaded as an installer (.exe) which creates a *.zip file in the C:\\RA folder. Or if used the "Direct Download" option, just loads the file as a *.zip file too.

I also changed the extension from *.zip to *dmk, but the file is not detected either.

I also upgraded the ControlFlash tool from 13.X to 15.X and still I get the same behavior. When I change the extension of the firmware from *.zip to *.dmk get a message saying "Failed to extract DMK file '(name _of_file)' to temporary folder".
I run ControlFlash as Administrator, also attempted to change the permissions on the "temp" folder too and nothing worked. Is anything you can advise?
The Rockwell download site is precompressing the firmware file as an executable which in turn encapsulates it as a zip file, not a dmk file.

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Thanks for your reply!! I explored that option but then it gave me the message that my OS system may not be compatible and that I need a paid license to download FT Lynx 6.2 or above. I am using a legacy laptop Win7 based and currently , because of this Rockwell software compatibility issues, cannot be replaced or upgraded with newer software because is running a perpetual license of FTStudio 6.1 and in need of flashing a bad PanelView 1000.

Is there a repository of the good old *dmk files that can be used with the older versions of ControlFlash?? I never had any problems running Control Flash v13.04 before but the Rockwell site seems like is not providing *.dmk anymore. Any other suggestion or a place from where I can download PanelView Plus firmware as *.dmk?

I just wanted to update you guys. I was surprised at first that I could not get any *dmk files. It seems like Rockwell is transitioning legacy firmware to the new platform under ControlFlash Plus, which requires you to buy or get a new revision of Lynx and FactoryTalk Directory above rev6.2. I managed to do that, then I had to log in with my Rockwell credentials so I can automatically download firmware straight from the Rockwell website. Of course you can also add a local PC directory where you have stored previous firmware, but it is not the same as it used to be, since you cannot get dmk for some devices.
For instance, PowerFlex family of drives cannot get flashed up or down using *dmk files. At least the ones I used to deal with like PowerFlex 700, 755, etc.
With PanelView + 6, you can use the FUP and ControlFlash Plus.

Thanks for your help!