Trouble with Ethernet to profibus Convertor using HMS Anybus X-gateway7800

flow8258

I currently am trying to communicate to 2 drives through Profibus. The GOD file for the drive has been successfully installed in the x-gateway using Anybus NetTool software. I connected up to the X-gateway through hyper terminal and set the configuration according to tech support. All the LEDS on the X-gateway show there is communication on the Ethernet and on the profibus end. However, when I try and "Monitor / Modify connect" button, I get the following error:

"Modules located outside the allocated I/O area exist in the configuration"

I am still able to go online with the X-gateway. It recognizes the 2 drives. When i click "online properties" for the x-gateway, it says "status OK" for both the drives. If i click "online properties" for either one of the drives it says

"Status: No IO Mem"

I cannot send or receive any I/O from the drives. I have spoken to the drive manufacturer and the tech support for the anybus. Nobody knows what to do next. I have tried many configurations and nothing has worked. Please help!

No experience with Anybus. And you didnt state what drives.

But I am guessing you need to setup the drives to match the i/o setup in Anybus.
Some drives need to be configued to use Profibus. And some drives you need to specify the number of i/o bytes, and what functionality the i/o bytes have.

I have worked with a couple Anybus modules before, and you have to be careful in selecting your gateway/module.

One drawback to the X-gateway is that it uses fixed addresses (at least on CANopen versions) so any messages it sends/receives on the field bus side have to fit into its addressing scheme. We purchased one of their Ethernet to CANopen X-gateway modules, only to learn that it was not configurable on the CAN side, and can only be used to interface with a device that has configurable CAN addresses.

I would assume that with a device like a drive, the addresses would be fixed, but I have no experience with Profibus.

Hi flow8258/Paul351W,

flow8258, contact the support at: [FONT=&quot][email protected]
I have sent them this thread and wait for you to contact them.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Paul351W, [FONT=&quot]Our CANopen modules has a default mapping as all other CANopen nodes. There is no problem to reconfigure PDO:s in the module. If you have any problems with our Anybus modules please don´t hesitate to contact our support.

//Patrick L
[/FONT]

Anybus distributor - South Africa

Hi flow8258/Paul351W

I am the sales director for IDX in South Africa and we distribute Anybus in Southern Africa. We also provide local technical support via our engineers.

Please check our Blog (http://blog.idxonline.com) which has some post from our technical guys. I'll also take your query internally and see if we can give you some tips / guidance.

Regards
Bruce B

Hi,
Have you selected the IO modules for the device on the bus configuration? Once you select the gsd file and set the address for the device, you still need to select the modules that make up the device. If you are not sure of the IO modules to add, the easier way is to go Online >> Scan Network. Then double click the devices to add the IO modules on the bus configuration.