UL 1015 versus MIL-W-16878/1 Type B Wire

Archie

For years I have used UL 1015 tin plated 18AWG for control wiring. I recently compared it to MIL-W-16878/1 and it appears to have all of the same specification with the exception of insulation thickness. The Mil-Spec wire is much thinner.

Are there any reasons MIL-W-16878/1 can't be used for control panel construction? What does everyone else typically use?

So it turns out that according to NFPA 79, Table 12.3.2, the average insulation thickess of single conductor wire must be 0.030" for MTW (UL 1063)

Not sure why they focus on insulation thickness as opposed to voltage and temperature rating.

Similar Topics

I have a client who periodically experiences network communication issues. Sometimes when I VPN into the site, their SCADA systems will flash comm...
Replies
Views
We have been using a "koyo" dl06 and communicating to it well over Modbus TCP, we read inputs and set outputs at a high rate, 4-10 times a second...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am working on a project that needs to detect when a user is putting in effort into the system (this is a robotic gait trainer that...
Replies
Views
General Question: My trial version of TIA Portal v16 expires in 5 days and I'll be buying the full licence (Basic). I spoke to a chap at Siemens...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have recently gone full in on TIA after holding on to Simatic Manager. One thing which I find more difficult is the filter function for...
Replies
Views
Back
Top Bottom