Upload or download

Mohammed zaid

I try to get user application software from cpu which writed using loadder language or any one of IEC languages.
I forget how i can differentiate between upload and download?
i think upload to get program from plc, and download to send the program to plc.
Is that correct?

I am still paranoid about the use of those two terms. About 25 years ago, when I was young and ****y, I was working in a plant that had a Westronics "chart recorder /logger, that displayed all the plant data to the operators. ie it was the total "brains" of the plant.
I took it upon myself (nobody asked me) to get a pc to "talk" to this device. I found an old floppy disc with some dos type software, made up a rs232 lead and congratulated myself in getting it working first time.

I decided how clever, I would be, if I made a "backup" of the recorder,
I obviously got "upload" and "download" mixed up, probably ignored some "overwrite" warning and long story short, 5 seconds later, I had replaced the entire memory of the recorder with my blank file.
The entire plant now had no information, I had no idea where any of the sixty or so instruments were connected, what they were scaled to etc , I had to manually enter each "point" , guess the scaling and ask the operator, do you remember what "point 5 used to be etc etc. The operator had to "blindly" run the plant, the worst two days, I ever had and all self inflicted. lol

Last edited:
I am still paranoid about the use of those two terms.

I try to always include TO and FROM whenever I use upload/download, to try to be clearer: Download to the PLC/Upload from the PLC, etc. If I just say "download the program" there's more room for confusion.

I try to always include TO and FROM whenever I use upload/download, to try to be clearer: Download to the PLC/Upload from the PLC, etc. If I just say "download the program" there's more room for confusion.

Way back in the days of DOS, A-B software used to say "Upload from the PLC" and "Download to the PLC". Later versions they left off the "to" and "from" and there has been confusion ever since. I think that was the ICOM Ladder Logistics software. IIRC 6200 used "Save" and "Restore" instead of upload and download.

OG

I all ways say Download starts with a D so I remember Download is Dangerous .
Crazy I know but that is the way I remember it.