USB ro RS232 converter under Windows 7 XP-Mode

Problem solved - well nearly

A colleague has turned up a USB - RS232 adapter that uses a chip made by FTDI - cost all of 9 € apparently - and it works fine out of the virtual machine. The only problem I've now got to solve is to somehow get both the simulator SW CAN-bus adapter working at the same time. Unfortunately, I've only got one USB 2.0 port and neither adapter will work from the USB 3.0 ports. Connecting both via a hub to the 2.0 port both are seen and can be connected to the virtual machine, but somehow the simulation SW can't see the CAN-bus adapter.

However, for the time being, I don't need the simulator that much and it sure is nice to be back working at warp speeds instead of crawling along on the Dell!

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers

Roy

Edit: Problem now completely solved, reinstalling the Simulator SW with the CAN-bus adapter plugged into the hub and connected to the Virtual PC was sucessful so I'm now up and running at full speed.

Last edited:
Can't you set your USB 3.0 port back to 2.0 in your bios?
No, the BIOS is extremely restricted, I can't even see what level SATA controller I've got or change the boot order. About the only thing I can do is to switch the support for Virtual machines on or off!

Anyway, it doesn't really matter since everything is working fine now.

I also use a Keyspan, but I have ran into 2 instances where the keyspan would not work....the first was with a Parker Servo Controller (dont recall the part number) and an Omron CQ?? PLC serial connection (cant recall this one either of the top of my head)

The parker, I had to buy a prolific type adapter, the omron, I had to borrow the $100 Omron USB to serial adapter from a friend.