Way OT, new uses for everything.

Andy6

When I was a kid about 60 years ago, I used to wire an old radio speaker wires to a small DC motor out of a toy car. My neighbors were amazed to hear sound come out of a motor. A DC motor has about the same coil as a speaker.

I made sound with electricity when I held the wires to my expensive electric slot car, and plugged them into the 120vac wall outlet. One big pop sound i think it made. I wasted my 2nd best electric car motor and got yelled at for the black stain on the wall. I was about eight years old.

Those links are awesome. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mom and dad bought me a Radio Shack 101 electrical experiments kit for Christmas that year. I built most of the circuits, bypassing understanding how they worked, and had fun trying to replicate star wars sounds through the little speaker with various adjustable capacitors and potentiometers.

The next year I earned the reputation as the "only person I know who can turn a perfectly good radio into a flashlight" because the 8-track/radio didn't work, I thought I would find something burnt, I didn't so I started desoldering things to test tehm, with my radio shack analog meter in that kit. Next thing you know, I had a pile of good resistors and capacitors and some tuner adjustable caps, and a light bulb from the sliding line dial
string operated tuner display.

As a bonus working 12-C-cell flashlight that would last for days left on, I no longer had to listen to the sole 8-track tape that would play in the dusty old camping radio. Tom T Hall. And when tracks 3 and 4 quit working on that one and the antenna broke off it was much better as a flashlight.

pieace

Last edited:
Ha ha, not quite the same experience as Lancie's.

Those links are pretty cool!

I made sound with electricity when I held the wires to my expensive electric slot car, and plugged them into the 120vac wall outlet. One big pop sound i think it made. I wasted my 2nd best electric car motor and got yelled at for the black stain on the wall. I was about eight years old.

Those links are awesome. Thanks.