Which PLC is User friendly?

The Toshiba hardware is outstanding. The software developers should take lessons from AB.

Still the software is user friendly in my opinion.

Steve Bailey said:
Did you hear about that in an email you received touting the benefits of certain "Johnson enhancement" products. I assume those are about new and exciting products from Johnson Controls.

I've been out of the PLC LOOP for 2-1/2 months. Could you forward the next email you get to me?

But then, my wife went on vacation on 8/4/07, and never came back. But that could be a whole (deleted) thread in itself!

Then there's my neighbor across the street.....Mike Johnson. Oh, nevermind!

Last edited:
CaseyK said:
I've been out of the PLC LOOP for 2-1/2 months. Could you forward the next email you get to me?

But then, my wife went on vacation on 8/4/07, and never came back. But that could be a whole (deleted) thread in itself!

Then there's my neighbor across the street.....Mike Johnson. Oh, nevermind!

Is that went on vacation or going on vacation or something you are hoping for?

Last edited:
Omron is the best and user friendly PLC. You can very easily program thru ladder diagram, using Syswin 3.4.

Muhammad Khirad Alam
Karachi, Pakistan

Don't know

But this it what you become if you pick the wrong one....

rsdoran said:
Any if you know what you are doing, which undoubtedly you do not because you did not create a poll, how can you work with either?

lol

I couldn't resist the temptation

Wow, you actually get to pick the plc you are going to program w/?

This is probably common knowledge to this group, but I am new here. . . Our Allen Bradley Micrologix keeps losing contacts. It was hard for me to believe the still used mechanical contacts in a PLC. Anyway, it dosen't make them user friedly in my book. I liked the old fashioned smokin' triacs.

8nman said:
This is probably common knowledge to this group, but I am new here. . . Our Allen Bradley Micrologix keeps losing contacts. It was hard for me to believe the still used mechanical contacts in a PLC. Anyway, it dosen't make them user friedly in my book. I liked the old fashioned smokin' triacs.

There are still lots of things that a PLC can control that require dry contacts.

As for you Micrologix, there is a good chance you need some surge protection on those outputs if they keep dying. Are you by chance running solenoid valves with them? Or motor starter coils? Interposing relays and/or surge suppressors will probably help out.

To me, GE Fanuc is the easiest, but that's just because it's all i've really worked with. The only one i've really heard is difficult to learn is Siemens.

dylan batt said:
A message to rsdoran
posts like that does not intice new members or people who are in need of genuine help to post now does it

AMB Controls

"A Question is only difficult if you do not know the answer"
"we are here to help not criticise"

I reserve the right to do either depending on situation.

Originally the post stated a poll but none was created. There was no mention of needing to learn about plcs or dcs, just which one(s) were user friendly. He later created another thread that had a poll. http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=28514&highlight=user+friendly

How do you answer this type question? You offered Mitsi as an example but is it the only one user friendly or is that just your opinion. Do they offer a DCS? Does the original poster have the option to use or is Mitsi commonly used in his region?

The problem with answering or helping is you have to know what the question is "Which PLC/DCS is user friendly" is not a "proper" question.

The fact is this question can not be answered, all that can be offered is opinion. One person may work well with one brand while another entirely dislikes it. Another aspect is where you are, there are numerous people here from all around the globe who may not have the option of using some brands.

Before jumping me about my reply did you take the time to see what a simple search would provide about me and most of my replies? In other words did you study the situation first? If so then I guess it is safe to assume if responsible for machinery the first thing you would do is accuse the operator of wrongdoing before checking the machine! Sometimes you need a response with more information to determine what someone needs, if you notice there has not been any response or additional information given in either thread.

This is not the first time this question has been asked and probably will not be the last. The fact is I do not believe anyonc can answer the question, this is something an individual would have to determine based on the options available to him/her.

Spend some time here and see for yourself.

OkiePC said:
There are still lots of things that a PLC can control that require dry contacts.

As for you Micrologix, there is a good chance you need some surge protection on those outputs if they keep dying. Are you by chance running solenoid valves with them? Or motor starter coils? Interposing relays and/or surge suppressors will probably help out.

True that some functions require dry contacts, but the Micrologix architecture gives you no choice. Daisy chaining dry contact relays in line with dry contact outputs seems redundant. Oh well . . . it is probably the reason they are inexpensive.

8nman said:
True that some functions require dry contacts, but the Micrologix architecture gives you no choice. Daisy chaining dry contact relays in line with dry contact outputs seems redundant. Oh well . . . it is probably the reason they are inexpensive.

The ML series DOES have triacs and FETs. Which ML do you have 1000,1100,1200 or 1500. I will post the spec for you.

i.e ML1000 Specs.

ML1000Outputs.jpg

8nman said:

The Micrologix line offers relay, triac, and FET type outputs along with analog and AC or DC input power options. The need to use relays in-line with the output may be for power requirements i.e. the load is too great for the output.

Mickey said:
The ML series DOES have triacs and FETs. Which ML do you have 1000,1100,1200 or 1500. I will post the spec for you.

i.e ML1000 Specs.

ML1000Outputs.jpg

Ya know, I always find a way to show my ignorance. In this case I plead guilty of letting my supplier tell me what I needed without bothering to do the research. We are using the 1761-L32AWA which is all dry contact relays. We are triggering solenoids, but I plead guilty of believing these contacts could handle the loads. Live and learn . . . You guys are great, thanks for all the input.