Which version of Step 7 do I need?

strantor

I'm a Field Service Technician, with a laptop running XP SP3. I have run into a couple of jobs where I needed to go online with a Siemens PLC but did not have the software. I have gotten the green light from my boss to get the software, but he's left it to me to find out the proper software package to buy. When I search my local Siemens distributor for "Step 7" I get 61 results, ranging from <$100 to >$4000, and I have no idea which one I need. I have used Step 7 and WinCC before with a previous employer, but I did not source that software and do not remember what package it was.

What I need is a version of S7 that will work with my laptop and let me go online/edit just about any Siemens PLC that I might come across in the field (very vague, I know). I don't know what add-ons or big packages that might require. Can somebody throw me a bone? what should I be looking for?

Thank you.

I'm afraid your not going to get an all in one package.

If the PLC is a S7-200 PLC then you will need MicroWin (should be able to get this from your rep for free).

If it is a S7-300/400 then it is likely to be classic Step-7 Simatic Manager. I believe the latest is V5.5

A new PLC of the S7-1200 or S7-1500 range would need TIA Portal.

S7-300 and S7-400 PLC's can use TIA Portal, but the program would need to be converted and you would need a copy of classic on your machine to do the convert.