Why is language quality so bad here?

Personally I think a lot of it has to do with technology.

When I was at school, college and then university, nearly all of my assignments and coursework etc was handwritten, looking in dictionaries for spellings, and actually using books.

Now my children are at school, it is expected of them that most homework and assignments and such are done on a computer. If my daughter spells something incorrectly or uses the wrong punctuation, the computer program she is using automatically corrects the mistakes she has made, and without her even knowing what her mistake was.

Also we have the problem of texting on mobile (cell) phones. If I read some messages that my children receive I need a translator, and it is getting more and more common to see this so called 'txt' speech in everyday language.

Before long vowels will cease to exist.

Just my 2 penneth worth.

Mark

Computers make stupid people look smart - unless they are managers where I work who cannot spell to save their lives!

My personal hate is the word "Like". My teenage daughter uses it all the time. "I'm like so hungry" so I suggest that she is not actually hungry but something very similar to being hungry.

She hates it!

Computers make stupid people look smart - unless they are managers where I work who cannot spell to save their lives!

My personal hate is the word "Like". My teenage daughter uses it all the time. "I'm like so hungry" so I suggest that she is not actually hungry but something very similar to being hungry.

She hates it!

I would understand if she would write it, but when she says it, there really is no point to ***** about it. Remember, language like all and everything evolves.

Just becouse it sounds wierd in your ears, does not mean its wrong.

I love this site because people come here to talk PLCS, my friends call it "speaking the geek". I look over the language barriers for the comfort of people who understand what we do...jus sayin

I love this site because people come here to talk PLCS, my friends call it "speaking the geek". I look over the language barriers for the comfort of people who understand what we do...jus sayin

Seconded - I do my best to understand what other people have written - even if english is not their first language.

Language, grammar, and punctuation do not have to be perfect to convey meaning...

There's many examples on the 'net, like...

"Y cn prbbly rd ths prgrph vn thgh ll th vwls hv bn rmvd"

It worse than txt-speak, but proves a point.

If a question is posted that I can't understand, then I have no right to answer it, I may be doing a disservice to the OP...

2c from me

Yes, in my young days (many years ago), I read science fiction stories about a time when the people had lost all knowledge and become complete idiots, and the Earth was run by robots and computers. I was amazed by such stories, but now I have lived to (almost) see it happen.

I think I saw this movie...WALL-E!

There are two problems

1. The poster can't explain his problem because he doesn't understand the problem.
2. The poster uses poor english.

I have looked at German forums, specifically the German PLC forums and German table tennis forums. The German on these forums is equally poor as the English on a US forum. My German isn't that good but I know enough about German grammar to know when it is good or bad.

It's not poor English or spelling that I dislike, it's the laziness of using text speak.
It just shouts to me that the poster can not be bothered to marshall his thoughts and words in a concise manner. Just what you need to program correctly.

A cn u plz hlp will not get a reply from me.