WinCC Flex 2008 - Error assigning Variable to object

RMA

I've got a funny problem with WinCC Flex, so if anybody's got any ideas, I'd be grateful to hear them.

I've got a new project which is based very closely on an existing project (for older viewers, the Rossendorf High Magnetic Field Lab - it was so successful that they've decided to spend another 100 M€s, or so, of taxpayer money to build a second one :)). Basically I'm using the original project and modifying it as necessary. Amongst other things this means that I need to change a few names in some DBs (the addresses remain the same).

I normally work with Symbolic priority, but since I'm changing the name I also tried switching to absolute priority, but this didn't help. The project is integrated in Step7 and according to the first two lines the sycronisation was successful, however the two error lines don't make any more sense to me in English than they originally did in German!

The Symbol I'm tring to modify is DB999.DBX2.7 which I wanted to change from UV22_DIN_Fault to ZV1_DIN_Fault.

If anybody has any ideas what the problem is and how to clear it I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Roy

WinCC_Error.jpg

Should be simple to rename the tag... but... to change it everywhere it is used...

I am a newbie to siemens, but from my limited experience you can just change the tag name in the tag editor... select the tag double click the name and type a new one. I think controls that it is attached to are updated automatically. But if you have scripts and other things that reference it... I highly doubt it will be updated there. Not sure how to identify everywhere it is used.

Why do you want to rename the tag and take the chance anyway... they are really just proxies of information... and if the HMI works... it's not something the user will probably see... so... who cares. Unless it is a requirement... like a convention that is driving the change?

I wish there was a way to see/print all of the things that are in the HMI program... like a list of all objects, their types, and their attributes... be the controls on a screen... scripts etc... then you could search it to find problems... still trying to find a way to look at the under-the-hood complete program. I am tempted to start a separate thread on that one.

WinCC is doing some really funny things with me... and the debugger throws warnings and errors that are very vague... like "System function not assigned for job." Well gee thanks a lot... what job Mr. Compiler! :confused:

By the way... did you click on connections and create/update the connection so that it is actually pointing to the device? Maybe, since you are using a project and just modifying it, the old connection information is wrong... and then you get the subsequent error because in effect... there is no source?

Hi Nick,

sorry for the delay in getting back, got caught up in something else.

I had already solved the problem by editing the Tag directly in the WinCC Tag-List, but I'm a bit worried that something might get screwed up as far as the integration in Step7 is concerned, so that was why I was wondering if anybody had seen a similar problem.

As far as your third point is concerned, it doesn't really apply since I'm working with WinCC integrated in Step7. This means that don't need to leave WinCC to navigate down through the Step7 Program to the required DB - if there were no DB I wouldn't be able to see it. Alternatively if the Variable name in the DB had been changed then I would see the new Variable.

Why do you want to rename the tag and take the chance anyway... they are really just proxies of information... and if the HMI works... it's not something the user will probably see... so... who cares. Unless it is a requirement... like a convention that is driving the change?
The project is for a research foundation who have, in the meantime, acquired a quality control department who want to stick their fingers very deeply into any pies going!

Thanks anyway,

Cheers

Roy

Last edited:
Normally, WinCC Flex runs an update of the symbols in the background. But something may have messed it up nonetheless.

If it happens again, you can try to use the "reconnect" function. There are several optionjs to fiddle with, like chosing to search for matching address or matching symbolic name.

Congrats...

Hi Nick,

sorry for the delay in getting back, got caught up in something else.

I had already solved the problem by editing the Tag directly in the WinCC Tag-List.

Thanks anyway,

Cheers

Roy

Yah that is all you should need to do... The WINCC Flex Tags... particularly their "names" have nothing to do with the PLC program as far as I know... just if you change the WINCC tag names... it could break something in the HMI.