Windows 10 is the official name for the next Windows O/S

Let's add in some of the ones you've left out. I won't go back beyond Windows 95...

ASF said:
I've been saying that for years.

Windows 95 < Good - 16-bit to 32-bit, introduced Start button, GUI style still current today, CD-ROM
Windows NT 4.0 < Good - Stable
Windows 98 < Good
Windows 98 SE < Good - introduced a wealth of features, including USB
Windows 2000 < Ok
Windows ME < No comment, next
Windows XP < Good - got to SP3.
Windows Vista < Woeful, short lived (introduced UAC nightmare)
Windows 7 < Good
Windows 8 < Shortest lived OS release yet?
Windows 9 < Good? We'll never know
Windows 10 < TBC...

Every second one is a pile of junk, so they're due for another good one! ;)

But what if Windows 9 was the next "good one", as the April Fools joke declared, and Windows 10 is the "pile of junk". I don't think it will be, but we'll see. It does look "nice".

They really need to start tailoring for different end users each time they release a new OS. Windows 8 was all media "teenager" oriented, and touch friendly, not much there for stable business solutions.

Solid reliable platforms are what automation systems need, not bells and whistles.

I always wonder why (I know why) global automation leaders such as Rockwell, Siemens, etc., do not develop their own proprietary OS, which is stable and tested for their products, cutting out all the unknowns we face each day with incompatibilities with Windows OS, drivers, third party software, 32-bit this, 64-bit that. It's a wonder we get anything done?

G.

Let's add in some of the ones you've left out. I won't go back beyond Windows 95...

In my defence, I was 10 years old when Windows 98 came out. I don't remember a whole lot before then to make comment ;)

I always wonder why (I know why) global automation leaders such as Rockwell, Siemens, etc., do not develop their own proprietary OS, which is stable and tested for their products, cutting out all the unknowns we face each day with incompatibilities with Windows OS, drivers, third party software, 32-bit this, 64-bit that. It's a wonder we get anything done?

G.

Now THAT would be a joy to behold! Unfortunately, of course, it'd probably take another 10 years for the VM coders to start supporting them :ROFLMAO:

G.

This is business! They get 2 times money, once from poor one and once from the better one.

Why not Linux?

I want to throw in my experience with windows 8 since there have been a lot of negative comments about it, and that isn't my experience.

I've been using it for almost 8 months now I haven't had a problem with it. If you're using it on a laptop/desktop there is no need to use ANY metro (or whatever they call them these days) style apps if you don't want to (I don't). It can be set to boot directly to the regular desktop, and even the start screen is basically just a big start menu. If you tend to use start search to find something (search built into start menu/screen) then the work flow hasn't changed at all from windows 7 (Hit Start on keyboard -> start typing -> select desired item -> hit enter)

There are also a lot of "under the hood improvements" such as improved boot times and much better memory management than windows 7.

In the end its hard to tell than I'm not on a Windows 7 machine aside from increased performance...I actually wouldn't go back to windows 7 now if I had the option. I do of course run all my automation software in VM's. :)

Maybe some of the dislike is coming from people trying to use it on tablets that actually have to deal with "Metro Mode" which isn't an issue for me? (I have a yoga 2 pro that converters to a table, but even then I don't use the metro apps).

Now, all that doesn't mean I'm not excited about windows 10 since it looks like there are quite a few nice features coming (particularly virtual desktops)!

Don't mean to offend anyone with this, I just wanted to through in my own more positive experience with windows 8 :)

-Benaiah