Wire colour code

I said we don't use brown. I didn't say it can not be used.

Standard colours?
IEC 60204-1 parag: 13.2.4:

"When colour-coding is used for identification of conductors (other than the protective conductor (see 13.2.2) and the neutral conductor (see 13.2.3), the following colours may be used:
BLACK, BROWN, RED, ORANGE, YELLOW,GREEN,BLUE (including Light Blue), VIOLET, GREY, WHITE, PINK, TURQUOISE.

For safety reasons, the colour GREEN and colour YELLOW should not be used... (see my previous post)"

There are no standards but recomendations like:

IEC 60204-1 parag: 13.2.4:

"BLACK: AC and DC power circuits
RED: AC control circuits
BLUE: dc control circuits
ORANGE: excepted circuits in accordance with 5.3.5"

Yeah, I was afraid we would have to use these IEC standard, altought it makes no sense to me, using the same colour dor DC+ and DC-
We don't use it in our machines, we have our colours (pretty much the same as the above posts), but for some machines the costumer safety people demands that we follow the standards ( and can you believe they are not so rigid on the actual safety aspects of the machine...)

Yeah, I was afraid we would have to use these IEC standard, altought it makes no sense to me, using the same colour dor DC+ and DC-
We don't use it in our machines, we have our colours (pretty much the same as the above posts), but for some machines the costumer safety people demands that we follow the standards ( and can you believe they are not so rigid on the actual safety aspects of the machine...)

Since it's really only recommendations I think you are fine if you stick with the basic colors that are most common for the most important:

Black for Phase,
Light Blue for Neutral,
Green/Yellow for ground
Orange for voltsfree contacts.

Then use what you find most appropiate and specify on the drawing what colors you used.

We have delivered more then thousands cabinets and it is extremly rare that they comment on the colors. I can't even recall (even though I haven't made them all)

/Tim

I agree with rQx. You can also ask client for specific demands, just in case..

I also agree with rQx 100%.

Jmsmoreira:

"Yeah, I was afraid we would have to use these IEC standard, altought it makes no sense to me, using the same colour dor DC+ and DC-."

I also don´t like to use the same colour, but I know people that use it and it is OK as long as you use wire numbers.

I also agree with rQx 100%.

Jmsmoreira:

"Yeah, I was afraid we would have to use these IEC standard, altought it makes no sense to me, using the same colour dor DC+ and DC-."

I also don´t like to use the same colour, but I know people that use it and it is OK as long as you use wire numbers.

I think you just defined why colours are not deemed that important. I think an International Standard should be agreed on though, it would make life easier.

Since there are no Standards, we supply with all of our diagrams a list with the wires colour coding and their meaning. I know most companies in Europe do the same.

Either way, with a good wiring diagram you could have all wires in same color and still be able to do your work ;)

I think the biggest thing is consistency, I have seen where all the signal types originally had there respective colors then someone else must of went in to change something and it looked like they just had a big box of wires they pulled from randomly.

I think the biggest thing is consistency, I have seen where all the signal types originally had there respective colors then someone else must of went in to change something and it looked like they just had a big box of wires they pulled from randomly.

Many years ago, I had an electrician in the shop that wired the panels as if they were a gay parade. He only cared about the looks and not about the consistency.:geek::geek: