QuickPanel+ to SLC503 Comms

Trying to establish communications between
QuickPanel+ IC755CSS12CDB-AA AND Allen Bradley Slc 503 1747-L532 OS301 ser a frn 8 via 9 pin comm port on SLC to comm port 1 on QP+

Hardware
SLC Pin 2 TXD wired to QP+ Pin 2 RX
SLC Pin 3 RXD wired to QP+ Pin 1 TX
SLC Pin 5 COM wire to QP+ Pin 5 GND

Software
AB Channel Config
Chanel 0 system
DF1 full duplex
baud 19200
parity none
source id 0
No Handshaking
ACK timeout 50
Error Detection CRC
Embedded responses auto detect

channel 0 user shutdown

QP+
OPC Driver
Channel 1
channel properties
communication tab
physical medium - com port
comm id 1
baud 19200
data 8
parity none
stop bits 1
flow control none

general tab
Device Driver Allen Bradley DF1

Link setting tab
station number 0
link protocol Full Duplex

Device Properties
Model SLC 5/03
ID 1 Decimal

Protocol Tab
CRC

Slot Config tab
1-1746-I*16
2-1746-I*16
3-1746-I*16
4 - no module
5- 1746-O*16
6- 1746-O*16

Created two tags
Publish - True
Mark as used - True
Array 0
Data Source PLC Access
I/O B3/0 & B3/1
Data type BOOL

Used both tags in ILPB
One as Button and One as light

Download the project into PV+ and no change of state for button or light?

Not sure if this is Hardware or software or both.
First time using QP+

Looking for suggestions

Thanks for looking,

I've spent 3 days to connect QP+ to VersaMax CPU. Both are GE products. It turned out that QP+ panels have so many hardware issues. First of all they don't have RS-485 on them even though they say there is.

Since you use Com port 1 on QP+, it's RS-232 port as long as I remember. I couldn't make that one work either. Have you checked the dip switch configurations on QP+?

I was not aware there were dip sw's on this unit.
Short of major disassembly of the QP+ back cover I do not see any.

That's the other stupid thing about these panels. You need to configure the dip switches if you wanna change protocols but they are all all the way inside. You have to remove all the screws and the back cover.

For testing I replaced the SLC503 with a SLC505 and setup comms using tcp ip and its working. At least this tells me I am setting up my tags and buttons correctly. Going back to the 503 and trying comm port 2.

But you are using Com port 1 right? I think that port is only RS-232 so you might not need those dip switches. They are for port 2 you can select either 232 422 485

The other thing is the order of the pins on the QP+ COM port. The drawing on the manual shows the pin orders on the QP+ not on the screw connector. So make sure you are using the right pins for RX, TX, GND

Found the Dip sw's and you are correct they are only applicable to com 2.
Went ahead and set them to rs232 and tried my 503 once again and still nothing.
Still experimenting, if you have any other ideas I love to hear them.
Thanks

Check the PLC Access Drivers on Proficy Machine Edition HMI to make sure they are correct. I don't actually know what driver you should use in your case but check them. In my case both devices are GE and I used GE SNP-X

Hardware
SLC Pin 2 TXD wired to QP+ Pin 2 RX
SLC Pin 3 RXD wired to QP+ Pin 1 TX
SLC Pin 5 COM wire to QP+ Pin 5 GND

Pin 1 is rarely the Tx pin in RS232 serial communications. I have used a QP+ communicating serially with a Mettler-Toledo scale and I'm 99.9% certain I used pins 2,3 & 5 on the Quick Panel.

Edit: Upon reflection, I'm pretty sure the port on the QP I used was 25-pin, in which case the GND is on pin 7. If they are mixing RS232 and RS422/RS485 on a single 9-pin port, then there will be deviations from the standard signal locations.

fasacrifice's reference to SNPX protocol selection for the communications is only for a GE PLC. For your SLC your selection of AB DF1 is the correct one.

Last edited: